The NHS Pension Board provides scrutiny and assurance of the administration of the NHS Pension Scheme.
Role of group
The NHS Pension Board’s role is to hold the NHS Pension Scheme’s administrator to account for administration of the NHS Pension Schemes (both the new 2015 scheme and the old scheme consisting of the 1995 and 2008 sections).
- overseeing assurance and governance of the administration of the NHS Pension Schemes, including compliance with the Pension Regulator’s codes of practice
- ensuring the scheme administrator supports employers to effectively communicate the benefits to members of the NHS Pension Scheme and fully utilise it as part of the NHS total reward offer
- ensuring the scheme administrator supports members to improve their understanding of their pension benefits as part of the total reward offer, and to inform their personal financial and career planning
- supporting effective implementation of the Employers Charter
- consideration of the annual report from the Pension Regulator, including any responses to recommendations
- produce an annual report that summarises the work of the Board
The Pension Board has an equal number of employer and member representatives and is overseen by an independent chair.
Pension Board members are appointed after being nominated by NHS trades unions and employer organisations. The independent chair is a ministerial appointment, following the public appointments process.
Non employer/member representatives such as Department of Health officials and Welsh Assembly government representatives attend Pension Board meetings in an observer capacity.
- Alan Fox, National Pensions Officer, Unison
- Nicola Lee, Employment Relations Adviser, RCN
- Paul Moloney, Industrial Relations Manager, Society of Radiographers
- Geoff Lester, NHS Pension Board Representative, Federation of Clinical Scientists
- Dr David Bailey, Chair of BMA pensions committee, BMA
- Colenzo Jarrett-Thorpe, National Officer Health Community, Youth & Play workers , Unite the Union
- Penny Brodie, Employee Benefits/Pensions Team Manager, Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust
- Wayne Evans, Deputy Payroll Manager, NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership
- Andrea Hester, Assistant Director of Pensions and Reward, NHS Employers
- Bryan Logan, Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust, Payroll Manager
- Christine Boon, Group Pensions Manager, Care UK
- Louise Tibbert, Director of Workforce and Organisational Development, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
- Amanda Bromley, HR Director of Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
Terms of reference
NHS Pension Board: terms of reference (PDF, 185KB, 7 pages)