The Natural Capital Committee advised the government on natural capital, such as ecosystems, soils, freshwaters, and oceans.
Role of the group
The Natural Capital Committee (NCC) was an independent advisory committee which ran from 2012 to December 2020.
It advised the government on natural capital, including ecosystems, species, freshwaters, soils, minerals, the air and oceans, as well as natural processes and functions.
The Natural Capital Committee was chaired by Professor Dieter Helm. The committee’s initial term ran from 2012 to 2015. The second term ran from 2016 to 2020.
Advice on government’s 25 Year Environment Plan
During its second term (2016 to 2020) the committee focused on helping the government develop its 25 year environment plan.
The 25 Year Environment Plan is underpinned by the committee’s vision to secure a positive environmental legacy for future generations. The committee created a framework for measuring progress against the 25 Year Environment Plan and presented this in its Final Response to the 25 Year Environment Plan Progress Report.
This framework, alongside other areas of the committee’s advice, lays the foundation for the Office for Environmental Protection (OEP) to undertake its scrutiny of the 25 YEP once it is established in 2021. The NCC’s full remit and functions, as detailed in its terms of reference, will not transfer over to the OEP.
Terms of Reference
The committee consisted of 7 experts.
- Professor Dieter Helm – Chairman
- Professor Melanie Austen
- Professor Ian Bateman
- Professor Christopher Collins
- Professor Paul Leinster
- Professor Colin Mayer
- Professor Kathy Willis
The committee’s end of term report was published on 2 November 2020.
The committee’s other publications are available in this document collection.
This includes reports on:
- Natural Capital Committee advice on the Green Book guidance: embedding natural capital into public policy appraisal
- Advice on using nature based interventions to reach net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050
- Natural Capital Committee advice on marine management
- Natural Capital Committee advice on soil management
Videos summarising the advice the committee provided are available on the Natural Capital Committee’s YouTube Channel.
Videos of the following meetings are also available:
- Natural Capital Conference #NaturalAssetsforFutureGenerations (3 November 2020)
- NCC Science Symposium #BaseliningNature (3 November 2020)
- Natural Capital Accounts round table (24 November 2020)
Minutes of meetings
Earlier minutes are available on the National Archives site.