National Headteacher Standards Review Group
A group who defined a revised set of standards for headteachers in England.
The aim of the group was to review the 2004 National Standards for Headteachers.
Its objectives were to:
- describe the standards headteachers should aim to meet
- communicate the values of the profession
- encourage public confidence in headteachers
Terms of reference
The standards for headteachers reflect the diversity of the existing schools landscape. They:
- include headteacher, school and system leadership responsibilities, and their role in society
- take into account the many different types of headteacher roles that now exist
Conduct of the review
The review considered best practice internationally. The chair:
- called for expert advice and evidence as appropriate
- published the response to the call for evidence on GOV.UK
- provided opportunities for the teaching profession and its representatives to engage with the review
Output of the review
The group presented a report to the Secretary of State for Education in summer 2014, including draft standards designed to replace the previous National Standards for Headteachers.
The Department for Education published the ‘National standards of excellence for headteachers’ in January 2015.
This was an independent review group, chaired by Dame Dana Ross-Wawrzynski, executive headteacher of Altrincham Grammar School for Girls and CEO of the Bright Futures Educational Trust. The vice chair was Roy Blatchford, Director of the National Education Trust.
Members of the group were:
- Ian Bauckham - Headteacher of Bennett Memorial Diocesan School, Kent
- Anika Collins - Specialist Leader of Education at Samworth Enterprise Academy, Leicestershire
- Joan Deslandes - Headteacher of Kingsford Community School, Newham
- Kay Dimelow - Headteacher of Huntingdon Nursery School, Cambridgeshire
- Tony Draper - Headteacher of Water Hall Primary in Bletchley, Milton Keynes
- Susan Douglas - Senior Schools Adviser at British Council and CEO of The Eden Academy
- Duncan Haworth - National Leader of Governance and Chair of Governors at Woodfall Primary School in Neston, Cheshire
- Helen Morgan - Specialist Leader of Education at Harton Technology College, South Shields
- Sir Michael Wilkins - Chief Executive of Outwood Grange Academies Trust
- Venessa Willms - Director of Primary at ARK Schools
The group met 4 times in 2014.
29 May, 2014: minutes (PDF, 117KB, 2 pages)
5 June, 2014: minutes (PDF, 79.3KB, 1 page)
26 June, 2014: minutes (PDF, 73.6KB, 1 page)
10 July, 2014: minutes (PDF, 70KB, 1 page)