The Nanotechnology Strategy Forum (NSF) promotes discussion and engagement between government and key stakeholders on strategic issues in order to advance nanotechnology industries responsibly in the UK.
The NSF is an ad-hoc expert advisory body with a membership drawn from industry, regulators, academia and NGOs. The NSF will often invite guests to provide advice and evidence according to the issues discussed at its meetings.
Terms of reference
The NSF will:
- provide a forum for engagement to facilitate balanced discussion by industry, regulators, researchers and consumers on opportunities and risks
- demonstrate government leadership in nanotechnologies as part of the UK’s Growth and Sustainable Development strategies
- provide a strategic overview of the key issues to inform government policy and ensure success for the UK’s nanotechnologies industries
- advise government on activities in which the UK should seek to develop, promote and maintain a leading edge
- advise on the prioritisation and means of providing accessible and commercially focused investment for the responsible development of nanotechnology based products and applications
- provide a fresh focus for the government’s nanotechnology research agenda, ensuring a good balance between research into risks and research into areas of innovation and potential opportunity
- use outputs from evidence-based dialogue between stakeholders, researchers and the public to inform policy decisions
- be open and transparent. NSF discussions and comments will be matters of public record and will be attributed to organisations, but not individuals
The NSF is jointly chaired by the Minister of State for Universities and Science (BIS) and the Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Defra. It is supported by a small secretariat based in Defra.
- David Willetts, Minister of State for Universities and Science, BIS
- Lord De Mauley, Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Defra
Attendees reflect the nature of each meeting.
The Forum meets twice a year. Meetings are held in London.
An agenda and papers will be published a few days before the meeting.