The Ministerial Industry Strategy Group (MISG) brings together government and the bio-pharmaceutical industry. The purpose of the group is to jointly consider how to promote a strong and profitable UK-based bio-pharmaceutical industry. The group is co-chaired by the Secretary of State for Health and the Chairman of the British Pharma Group.
- Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt (Co Chair) (Secretary of State for Health)
- George Freeman MP (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Life Sciences, Department of Health and Department for Business, Innovation and Skills)
- Jo Johnson MP (Minister of State for Universities and Science, Department for Business, Innovation and Skills)
- Lord O’Neill (Commercial Secretary to the Treasury)
- Dr Pascal Soriot (Co Chair) (AstraZeneca, British Pharma Group)
- Mike Thompson (Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry)
- John Kearney (Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry)
- Haruo Naito (Eisai, Japanese Pharmaceutical Group)
- John Young (Pfizer, American Pharmaceutical Group)
- Steve Bates (BioIndustry Association)
- Patrick Vallance (GlaxoSmithKline, British Pharma Group)
- Jean-Christophe Tellier (UCB, European Medicines Group)
Terms of reference
The Ministerial (Bio-pharmaceutical) Industry Strategy Group (MISG) will bring together government and the research-based bio-pharmaceutical industry to:
- promote a strong and profitable UK-based bio-pharmaceutical industry capable of sustained research, development and manufacturing that should lead to the future availability of new and improved medicines
- lead on the strategic development of the UK environment and foster a transparent relationship between the NHS and bio-pharmaceutical industry that will facilitate joint working for the benefit of patients and improve public health, and support the appropriate use of innovative medicines
- provide a forum to discuss how the UK government can be a leader in promoting the health and economic benefits of a strong biopharmaceutical industry in Europe and the rest of the world and also attract inward investment to the UK
- to monitor progress of the above and ensure that resources are deployed by government and industry in a timely manner to realise the dual goals of maximising healthcare outcomes for patients and stimulating economic growth
The MISG will be co-chaired by the Department of Health Secretary of State and the chairman of the British Pharma Group. It will include standing membership from ministers at BIS, HMT and industry members, largely in above-country roles, representing the research-based sector. The trade bodies ABPI and BIA are also represented and other ministers, government officials or industry personnel can be invited to attend as a guest.
MISG will meet at least once a year. The secretariat will be provided jointly by the Department of Health and the British Pharma Group.
The membership of the MISG, and its terms of reference will be reviewed every 2 years.
Agenda and minutes
Contact Sarah.Storey@officeforlifesciences.gsi.gov.uk to request the full papers for a meeting.