The Issues Overview Group is a joint forum of HM Revenue and Customs and professional bodies that progresses important operational issues or problems raised on the online Agent Forum, or otherwise identified by HMRC or professional bodies representing tax agents and advisers.
The Issues Overview Group (IOG) is part of the Working Together initiative, part of a partnership between HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and professional bodies representing tax agents and advisers to improve all areas of HMRC operations for the benefit of the department, agents and their clients.
Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT)
Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants (ACCA)
Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT)
Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT)
Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland (ICAI)
Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
HMRC is represented primarily by the Agent Engagement Team. However, representatives from other HMRC directorates may be invited to meetings if required.
IOG’s role is to:
- focus on the delivery of the Working Together initiative
- find evidence for further referrals
- ensure that the systemic issues raised on the Agent Forum and other channels are investigated effectively to enable enhancements to the process and system
- identify areas or unresolved main priority issues and escalate them through their professional body representatives to the HMRC Customer Director and Joint Initiative Steering Group (JISG)
- review challenges to closing a referral
- review suggestions raised by the Agent Forum and the professional bodies
Terms of reference
3. Operation and meetings
The group will operate as follows:
- HMRC will provide the chair and secretariat functions for IOG
- potential widespread issues should be raised by agents on the online Agent Forum
- updates and information on issues will be posted on the Agent Forum
- updates on important issues will also be published in Agent Update
- when more progress needs to be made on issues, IOG may request a meeting with HMRC subject matter experts to help their resolution
- updates from IOG issues meetings will be published in Agent Update
IOG is one of several HMRC consultative forums for agent professional bodies.
IOG may establish informal sub-groups to deal with specific member issues when appropriate. Membership of these may differ from the main IOG.
Reports of the issues covered within these sub-groups and any decisions reached will be published in Agent Update.
IOG will report main priority issues that align to JISG priorities.
All information and papers that HMRC shares with IOG members will be shared in confidence unless they are already in the public domain or if confidentiality restrictions have been expressly lifted.
Professional body representatives on IOG may consult in confidence with other members of their body or group to provide a truly representative view.
6. Review of IOG
The operation, terms of reference and membership of IOG will be reviewed annually at the face-to-face meeting to ensure that it continues to meet its aims and objectives.
7. Minutes of previous IOG meetings
IOG no longer publishes meeting minutes – all relevant information is provided through Agent Update and the Agent Forum. Minutes from 2014 to 2016 can be read on The National Archives website.