The Issues Overview Group provides a forum to raise essential operational issues or problems identified by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) or professional bodies representing tax agents and advisers.
It is sponsored by the Working Together group, which is a partnership between HMRC and professional bodies representing tax agents and advisers to improve all areas of HMRC operations for the benefit of HMRC, agents and their clients.
- Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT)
- Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT)
- Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland (ICAI)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
HMRC is represented primarily by the Business Customer and Strategy (BC&S) directorate. However, representatives from other HMRC directorates may be invited to meetings if required.
The specific purpose of the Issues Overview Group (IOG) is to:
- focus on the delivery of the Working Together service
- find evidence to further referrals
- ensure that the systemic issues raised via the Working Together network are investigated effectively with a view to delivering process and system enhancements
- identify areas or unresolved main priority issues and escalate them via their professional body reps to the Joint Initiative Steering Group (JISG)
- review challenges to closing a referral
- review suggestions raised via the professional bodies and agent members of the Working Together network regional groups
Terms of reference
Details of the meetings are that:
- HMRC will provide the chair and secretariat functions
- they will take place quarterly including one face-to-face meeting (the location of the face to face meeting to be agreed between HMRC and the professional bodies)
- the timing and length of them will be flexible, taking into account the nature of the subjects under consideration
- prior to each meeting, HMRC will issue a draft agenda - all members may suggest further items for inclusion
- HMRC will aim to issue a final agenda and supporting Management Information Statistics for each meeting 7 days before the date of the meeting
- prior to each meeting, the professional bodies will send HMRC the outputs of their pre-meeting scoring of each issue 7 days before the date of the meeting
- draft records of meetings will be circulated within 15 days of each meeting for comment, and once agreed, a record of each meeting, including attendees, will be published below
The IOG is one of a number of HMRC consultative forums for agent professional bodies.
As appropriate, the IOG may establish informal sub-groups to deal with specific member issues. Membership of these may differ from the main IOG.
Reports of the issues covered within these sub-groups and any decisions reached will be provided to the IOG.
The IOG will report main priority issues that align to JISG priorities.
All information and papers that HMRC shares with IOG members will be shared in confidence unless they are already in the public domain or confidentiality restrictions have been expressly lifted.
Professional body representatives on IOG may consult in confidence with other members of their body or group to provide a truly representative view.
6. Review of IOG
The operation, Terms of Reference and membership of IOG will be reviewed annually, at the face-to-face meeting, to ensure that it continues to meet its aims and objectives.