Issues Overview Group
The Issues Overview Group is a joint forum of HM Revenue and Customs and professional bodies that progresses important operational issues or problems raised on the online Agent Forum, or otherwise identified by HMRC or professional bodies representing tax agents and advisers.
The Issues Overview Group (IOG) is part of the Working Together initiative, part of a partnership between HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and professional bodies representing tax agents and advisers to improve all areas of HMRC operations for the benefit of the department, agents and their clients.
Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT)
Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants (ACCA)
Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT)
Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT)
Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland (ICAI)
Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
1. Terms of reference
Working Together is a partnership between HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and the main professional bodies representing tax agents and advisers working to improve all areas of HMRC operations for the benefit of HMRC, agents and their clients. It provides a forum to raise systemic operational issues or problems that have been identified by HMRC and/or the professional bodies.
Specifically the purpose of the IOG is to:
- focus on the delivery of the Working Together service
- find evidence to progress referrals
- ensure that the systemic issues raised via the Working Together agent network are investigated effectively with a view to delivering process and system enhancements
- IOG members to identify areas or unresolved key priority issues and escalate them via the IOG member on the Representative Body Steering Group (RBSG)
- review challenges to closing a referral
- review suggestions raised via the Working Together network
Issues are received by the IOG after they have been posted and prioritised/escalated initially to the agent forum team.
The IOG includes representatives from HMRC Customer Insight and Design and Customer Services directorates and the representatives of the main professional bodies representing tax agents and advisers.
Other business representatives from HMRC may be invited to meetings where the agenda dictates a particular discussion/consultation/update.
HMRC will provide the chair and secretariat functions.
Meetings will take place as required with bespoke meetings to seek resolution to specific unresolved issues raised on the Agent Online Forum.
There will be an annual face to face meeting to review the operation of the Agent Online Forum and functioning of the IOG with regard to escalations and how processes and services can be improved in the future.
The timing and length of meetings will be flexible, taking into account the nature of the subjects under consideration.
Prior to each meeting, HMRC will issue a draft agenda. All members may suggest further items for inclusion. HMRC will then issue a final agenda and supporting documents for each meeting seven days before the date of the meeting.
Draft records of meetings will be circulated within fifteen days of each meeting for comment. The topics discussed will be highlighted in Agent Update, with agents directed to the agent online forum for the latest information and updates on topics.
1.4. Review of IOG
The operation, Terms of reference and membership of IOG will be reviewed annually to ensure that it continues to meet its aims and objectives.
2. Operation and meetings
The group will operate as follows:
- HMRC will provide the chair and secretariat functions for IOG
- potential widespread issues should be raised by agents on the online Agent Forum
- updates and information on issues will be posted on the Agent Forum
- updates on important issues will also be published in Agent Update
- the Issues Overview Group prioritises, seeks updates and progresses agent issues in line with issue escalation process
- high level updates from IOG issues meetings will be published in Agent Update with more detailed background available on the Agent Online Forum
IOG is one of several HMRC consultative forums for agent professional bodies.
IOG may establish informal sub-groups to deal with specific member issues when appropriate. Membership of these may differ from the main IOG.
Reports of the issues covered within these sub-groups and any decisions reached will be published in Agent Update.
IOG will report main priority issues that align to RBSG priorities.
All information and papers that HMRC shares with IOG members will be shared in confidence unless they are already in the public domain or if confidentiality restrictions have been expressly lifted.
Professional body representatives on IOG may consult in confidence with other members of their body or group to provide a truly representative view.
5. Minutes of previous IOG meetings
IOG no longer publishes meeting minutes – all relevant information is provided through Agent Update and the Agent Forum. Minutes from 2014 to 2016 can be read on The National Archives website.