An HMRC-sponsored forum, the Wealthy (originally High Net Worth Unit) External Stakeholder Forum was set up following the launch of the High Net Worth Unit in April 2009. The team deals with the personal tax affairs of the UK’s wealthy individuals.
Consultation and engagement with customers and their professional representatives is one of the key underlying principles of the Wealthy team.
External members of this forum comprise of a cross-section of representatives from professional bodies. Internal membership is likely to be dynamic so that appropriate subject matter specialists and policy owners can be involved on a thematic basis.
The forum is chaired by Nicole Newbury, who took over as Wealthy Deputy Director on 3 April 2017.
|Nicole Newbury||HMRC, Deputy Director - Wealthy Team|
|Stephen Crockett||HMRC, Group Secretariat|
|Mark Levitt||Institute of Chartered Accountants of England & Wales|
|George Hodgson / Emily Deane||Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners|
|Ann Elmer / Oliver Rowland||Association of Tax Technicians|
|Penelope Lang / Charlotte Barbour||Institute of Chartered Accountants for Scotland (ICAS)|
|Matthew Burton||Estates Business Group|
|Martyn Gowar||Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners|
|Imogen Davies||Law Society|
|Malcolm Offord and Andrea Plaw||The Association of Independent Expatriate Tax Practitioners|
|David Mellor||Chartered Institute of Taxation|
|Adam Willman / Stefan Paduraru||Association Finance Markets in Europe|
|Alan Gourley||Northern Ireland Tax Committee|
Terms of Reference
The Wealthy External Stakeholder Forum is a consultation forum between HMRC’s ‘Wealthy’ Teams and professional bodies representing ‘Wealthy’ individuals. Its purpose is to enable HMRC to gain a greater customer and commercial understanding and increase transparency for customers and their representatives in understanding HMRC’s aims and administrative processes in ‘Wealthy’.
It aims to contribute to an enhanced working relationship between HMRC, its customers and their representatives and improve the operation of the tax system for both HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and customers who fit the ‘Wealthy’ criteria.
The forum is not intended to replace or displace the many existing productive links between HMRC and representative bodies, but to add value to our mutual understanding of the requirements of this particular group of customers.
Membership and meetings
- The group will be chaired by the Deputy Director of HMRC’s ‘Wealthy’ teams.
- The secretariat function will be an HMRC employee appointed by the chair on behalf of the forum.
- The secretariat will produce minutes of the meetings for all members and arrange publication on a dedicated page on the HMRC internet site.
- Non HMRC members will be there as reps of a range of representative bodies of customers and their agents.
- Meetings will be held approximately every six months where circumstances allow.
- Agenda contributions will be invited from members, following this a draft agenda will be issued. The final agenda and supporting papers will normally be circulated at least three working days before any meeting.
- Action points will be recorded by the secretariat and forum members will be advised of progress by email between meetings.
The forum aims to meet twice a year, where practical.
Minutes from previous years are held on The National Archives: