Helping to protect consumers by addressing food fraud and misleading food labelling activity.
The Food Authenticity Steering Group aims to identify research and survey needs that will help to protect consumers by addressing food fraud and misleading food labelling activity.
Terms of reference
- To identify trends and global drivers likely to impact on food labelling, standards, and the potential for food fraud in UK food system, working in close collaboration with National Food Crime Units, food industry representatives, enforcement authorities and other relevant experts.
- Based on the agreed drivers and trends, identify overarching authenticity research and surveillance needs including gaps in analytical methodology with the aim of reducing fraudulent, deceptive or misleading practices, protecting consumers and ensuring a competitive, resilient and sustainable food supply chain.
- To advise on the priorities for commissioning authenticity research which contribute to developing fit for purpose analytical methods to detect food mis-description and adulteration with a focus on areas of highest risk.
- To advise on priority authenticity surveillance and sampling activities led by government, that target areas of highest risk and support the prioritisation and identification of areas for coordinated Local Authority sampling and testing.
- To assist in information sharing, knowledge transfer and dissemination activities to ensure the Food Authenticity Programme outputs reach the intended audience, including official control laboratories, enforcement authorities the food and drink industry and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- To advise on strategic partnerships at the National, European and International level identifying opportunities for working collaboratively with others with an interest in food authenticity, consumer confidence and facilitating fair trade.
- Lucy Foster (Defra, Food Science Lead and Chair)
- Rick Mumford (Food Standards Agency, Head of Science and Co-chair)
- Barbara Hirst (Reading Scientific Services Limited)
- Michelle Mcquillan (Defra, Food Compositional Standards)
- Dave Pickering (Chartered Trading Standards Institute)
- David Lindars (British Meat Processors Association)
- Giles Chapman (National Food Crime Unit, FSA)
- Jonathan Davies (Food Standards Agency Wales)
- Devina Sankhla (British Retail Consortium)
- Kasia Kazimierczak (Food Standards Scotland)
- Alex Turtle (Food and Drink Federation)
- Lucy Aldrich-Smith (British Hospitality Association)
- Aaron Esler (Food Standards Agency)
- Nigel Payne (Association of Public Analysts)
- Brenda McRory (Port Health Authorities)
- Selvarani Elahi (Government Chemist)
- Naomi Davidson (Food Standards Agency Northern Ireland)
- Shefalee Loth (Which?)
- Paul Dobson (FIIN)
- Sophie Rollinson
- Ocean Ellis
Food Standards Agency Secretariat
- David Franklin
If you have any queries about this group, please use our email address to contact us.