The Energy Innovation Board provides strategic oversight of government funding of energy innovation programmes.
Composition of the Board
The Energy Innovation Board is chaired by Sir Patrick Vallance, the Government Chief Scientific Adviser, with representatives from:
and with HMT as observers.
The Devolved Administrations also attend Board meetings, and the Board has recruited independent members from the private sector.
The Independent Board members are:
- Xavier Mamo (appointed November 2018, for a 3 year term), EDF Energy, Director of EDF Energy Research & Development UK
- Jo Coleman (appointed May 2019, for a 3 year term), Shell, UK Energy Transition Manager
- Ian Simm (appointed May 2019, for a 3 year term), Impax Asset Management, Founder & Chief Executive
Role of the Board
The Board replaces and builds on the work of the Low Carbon Innovation Coordination Group (LCICG) to provide an even greater opportunity to collaborate at a strategic level.
Its role is to:
- provide strategic oversight of public programmes on energy innovation
- identify opportunities for enhanced collaboration on both UK and international energy innovation priorities
- ensure that government spend is aligned with government priorities
- provide clear recommendations to minsters and others across government (with ownership of the mechanisms) to address issues identified by the Board
Terms of Reference
Minutes of the Energy Innovation Board
Minutes of the Energy Innovation Board will be published shortly.