COMEAP advises the government on all matters concerning the health effects of air pollutants.
Role of the group
COMEAP provides independent advice to government departments and agencies on how air pollution impacts on health. Its members come from a range of specialist fields such as air quality science, atmospheric chemistry, toxicology, physiology, epidemiology, statistics, paediatrics and cardiology. There is also a lay member, who helps ensure that the general public can access and understand the committee’s work.
COMEAP current work programme (PDF, 114KB, 1 page)
Terms of reference
At the request of the Department of Health to:
advise the UK health departments on the effects on health of both outdoor and indoor air pollutants on the basis of data currently available
assess the need for further research
liaise as necessary with other government bodies to assess the effects of exposure and associated risks to human health
Code of practice
COMEAP code of practice (PDF, 71.9KB, 9 pages)
Current members are:
- Professor Frank J Kelly, Chair (Chair in Environmental Health, King’s College London)
- Dr Richard Atkinson (Reader in Epidemiology, St George’s University of London)
- Professor Alan R Boobis (Professor of Toxicology, Imperial College London)
- Dr Nicola Carslaw (Reader in Environmental Science, University of York)
- Ms Ruth Chambers (Lay member)
- Dr Beth Conlan (Business Manager, Air Quality Modelling, Mapping and Assessment Team, Ricardo Energy and Environment)
- Professor Jonathan Grigg (Professor of Paediatric Respiratory and Environmental Medicine, Barts and the London School of Medicine, Queen Mary University of London, Consultant Paediatrician, Royal London Hospital)
- Professor Roy Harrison (Queen Elizabeth II Birmingham Centenary Professor of Environmental Health, University of Birmingham)
- Dr Mike Holland (Freelance consultant in economic assessment of environmental policies)
- Mr J Fintan Hurley (Formerly Scientific Director, Institute of Occupational Medicine) Professor Debbie Jarvis (Professor of Public Health, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London)
- Professor Debbie Jarvis (Professor of Public Health, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London)
- Professor Robert Maynard (Honorary Professor of Environmental Health, Birmingham University)
- Dr Mark Miller (Senior Research Fellow, University of Edinburgh)
- Professor Gavin Shaddick (Professor of Data Science and Statistics, University of Exeter)
- Mr John Stedman (Air Quality Analysis and Policy Support Knowledge Leader, Ricardo Energy and Environment)
- Dr Heather Walton (Senior Lecturer in Environmental Health, King’s College London)
- Professor Paul Wilkinson (Professor of Environmental Epidemiology, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine)
COMEAP declaration of members' interests (PDF, 244KB)
Minutes from previous meetings are held on the National Archives website.
COMEAP holds open meetings to increase the visibility and transparency of its work. To attend a meeting as an observer, you will need to send an COMEAP open meeting application form (MS Word Document, 57.4KB) to the secretariat and follow the COMEAP code of conduct for observers (PDF, 20.7KB, 2 pages) .
9 November 2016
24 February 2017
7 June 2017
1 November 2017
Previous publications are held on the National Archives website.
Contact COMEAP through the secretariat at Public Health England (PHE)
In any correspondence, please reference the COMEAP website.
Public Health England
Centre for Radiation, Chemical and Environmental Hazards