COMEAP advises the government on all matters concerning the health effects of air pollutants.
Role of the group
COMEAP provides independent advice to government departments and agencies on how air pollution impacts on health. Its members come from a range of specialist fields such as air quality science, atmospheric chemistry, toxicology, physiology, epidemiology, statistics, paediatrics and cardiology. There is also a lay member, who helps ensure that the general public can access and understand the committee’s work.
COMEAP: Chair and Members Recruitment Campaign
COMEAP is recruiting for a new Chair and three new Members (two toxicologists and an epidemiologist).
Chair: VAC-1722: Closing date is midday on the 8 March 2021
Members: VAC-1731: Closing date is midday on the 8 March 2021
Vacancy adverts can be viewed on the GOV.UK website.
Terms of reference
At the request of the Department of Health to:
advise the UK health departments on the effects on the health of both outdoor and indoor air pollutants on the basis of data currently available
assess the need for further research
liaise as necessary with other government bodies to assess the effects of exposure and associated risks to human health
Code of practice
Current members are:
- Professor Frank J Kelly, Chair (Humphrey Battcock Chair of Environment and Health, School of Public Health, Imperial College London)
- Professor Alan R Boobis (Professor of Toxicology, Imperial College London)
- Professor Nicola Carslaw (Professor in Indoor Air Chemistry, University of York)
- Ms Ruth Chambers (Lay member)
- Dr Martin Clift (Associate Professor, Particle and Fibre Toxicology/In Vitro Systems, Swansea University) co-opted Member
- Professor Jonathan Grigg (Professor of Paediatric Respiratory and Environmental Medicine, Barts and the London School of Medicine, Queen Mary University of London, Consultant Paediatrician, Royal London Hospital)
- Professor Anna Hansell (Professor of Environmental Epidemiology, University of Leicester)
- Professor Roy Harrison (Queen Elizabeth II Birmingham Centenary Professor of Environmental Health, University of Birmingham)
- Professor Mathew Heal (Chair of Atmospheric Chemistry, University of Edinburgh)
- Dr Mike Holland (Freelance consultant in economic assessment of environmental policies)
- Professor Duncan Lee (Professor of Statistics, University of Glasgow)
- Dr Mark Miller (Senior Research Fellow, University of Edinburgh)
- Professor Gavin Shaddick (Professor of Data Science and Statistics, University of Exeter)
- Mr John Stedman (Air Quality Analysis and Policy Support Knowledge Leader, Ricardo Energy and Environment)
- Dr Heather Walton (Senior Lecturer in Environmental Health, Imperial College London)
- Professor Paul Wilkinson (Professor of Environmental Epidemiology, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine)
Minutes from previous meetings are held on the National Archives website.
COMEAP holds open meetings to increase the visibility and transparency of its work. To attend a meeting as an observer, you will need to send anto the secretariat and follow the .
- Monday 8 March 2021
- Tuesday 11 May 2021
- Monday 15 November 2021
Previous publications are held on the National Archives website.
Contact COMEAP through the secretariat at Public Health England (PHE)
In any correspondence, please reference the COMEAP website.
Public Health England
Centre for Radiation, Chemical and Environmental Hazards