Collection of Student Loans

An HMRC-sponsored forum and sub-group of HMRC's Employment and Payroll Group, which is HMRC's principal forum for employer representatives and intermediaries including payroll specialists on student loan issues.

This forum is a sub-group of the Employment and Payroll Group.

Terms of reference

  • The Group will be HMRC’s principal forum for employer representatives and intermediaries including payroll specialists on student loan issues.
  • The Group will be a sub-group of HMRC’s Employment and Payroll Group.
  • The Group will provide a forum for:
    • HMRC to explain and obtain feedback on the implications of potential changes to products and processes relating to student loan collection, including Regulatory changes.
    • Employer representatives, intermediaries and payroll specialists to advise, raise and discuss issues, concerns or problems for employers in administering their student loan obligations.
    • Cross government consultation on student loan issues that affect employers and borrowers, led by HMRC.
    • Discussing student loan issues affecting borrowers who are repaying through Self Assessment, and/or agents of such borrowers.
  • The Group will be made up of nominees of employers’, borrowers’ and intermediaries’ representative organisations, together with collection of student loan representatives from HMRC, the BIS and the SLC.
  • HMRC will provide the Chair and Secretariat for the Group.
  • The Secretary will act as the principal point of contact for the Group.
  • The Group will normally meet quarterly, but where appropriate will consider and decide on issues by email between formal meetings.
  • Exceptionally, additional meetings may be called at short notice to discuss urgent issues.
  • Agendas will be prepared with contributions from Group members and circulated, normally a week before meetings.
  • The minutes of meetings will be published on the internet.
  • HMRC will take responsibility for notifying the Group where any issues are being discussed on a confidential basis and the key points arising from any such discussions will be recorded in a separate note to the Group, along with the minutes that are being published on the internet.

Meeting minutes

Meeting frequency - quarterly.

Minutes 5 September 2017

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email steven.darling@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Minutes 7 March 2017 (PDF, 289KB, 7 pages)

Archived minutes

Minutes from previous years are available via The National Archives:

Contact details

steven.darling@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk