Claims Management Regulator

We work to protect and promote the interests of consumers and the public, and to ensure that the firms we regulate understand and comply with the conditions of their authorisation.

We’re a unit of the Ministry of Justice and we regulate the companies that offer a service for people hoping to claim compensation for:

  • personal injury
  • mis-sold financial products and services
  • employment and redundancy
  • criminal injury
  • industrial injury
  • housing disrepair


Within England and Wales, we’re responsible for:

  • licensing firms and individuals to provide claims management services
  • taking action when a regulated firm breaks the Conduct of Authorised Persons Rules
  • carrying out regulatory and criminal investigations
  • providing guidance and advice to consumers, organisations and regulated firms
  • leading policy reform for the claims management regulatory system
  • increasing consumers’ awareness of the charges firms can make
  • dealing with unauthorised companies offering claims management services

Authorised business register

Search our list of authorised claims management companies (CMCs) to check a claims company’s registration

Guidance for consumers

As a client or prospective client of a claims company you can:

Regulatory guidance for claims management companies

Apply for or renew your authorisation

News and alerts

Reports and consultations

We publish:

A public consultation on proposed measures to reduce costs for consumers by capping CMCs fees will be launched in early 2016.


General Enquiries


Telephone: 0333 200 0110

Authorisation applications


Telephone: 0333 200 1321

Claims Management Regulation Unit
57-60 High Street
Burton- upon-Trent
DE14 1JS

Complaints procedure

We can deal with complaints about the service we have provided - for example, if you feel we have not treated you fairly or we took too long to deal with your case. Use the CMR complaints form (MS Word Document, 78KB)