The UK Board of Trade champions exports, inward investment and outward direct investment to deliver economic growth and prosperity across the whole of the United Kingdom.
The Board of Trade engages with the whole of the UK on the UK’s global trade and investment agenda. The board and its advisers take a collaborative approach, focused on promoting the UK regions as destinations to trade and do business with.
Board of Trade meetings
The Board of Trade meets quarterly, with meetings held around the UK, guaranteeing all have the opportunity to raise issues most important to them.
It brings together leading figures from business and politics, who make up the advisers to the Board of Trade and represent the business voice from the whole of the UK.
The board has met in the following locations:
- Belfast (May 2019)
- Durham (February 2019)
- Swansea (November 2018)
- Coventry (September 2018)
- Stirling (May 2018)
- Preston (March 2018)
- Bristol (October 2017)
Advisers to the Board of Trade
The Rt Hon Elizabeth Truss MP, Secretary of State for International Trade in her role as President of the Board of Trade, chairs the Board of Trade. She is advised by 20 people from around the United Kingdom.
Current advisers to the Board of Trade are:
- Secretary of State for Wales
- Secretary of State for Northern Ireland
- Secretary of State for Scotland
- Minister of State for Investment
- Minister of State for Trade Policy
- Lord Rowe-Beddoe – former chair of the Welsh Development Agency
- Rt Hon Alderman Peter Estlin – Lord Mayor of the City of London
- Iqbal Ahmed OBE – Chairman, Chief Executive and founder of Seamark Group
- Karen Betts – CEO, Scotch Whisky Association
- Rt Hon Alderman Charles Bowman – Partner, PwC UK
- Rt Hon Greg Hands MP – MP for Chelsea and Fulham and former Minister of State for Trade Policy
- Rt Hon Patricia Hewitt – former Secretary of State for the Department for Trade and Industry
- Stephen Kelly, CEO, Manufacturing Northern Ireland
- Marnie Millard – CEO, Nichols PLC
- Andrew Mills – founder, TouPay
- Mark Nodder – strategic business advisor
- Collette Roche – Chief Operating Officer of Manchester United
- Heather Stevens CBE – Chair of The Waterloo Foundation
- Edward Timpson CBE – former Minister of State for Children and Families
- Rt Hon Brian Wilson – former Trade Minister
Previous advisers to the Board of Trade include:
- Ian Curle, former CEO, Edrington Group
Board of Trade Awards
The Board of Trade Awards (BOFTAs) recognise businesses who have made an outstanding contribution to international trade within their region. Domestic awards rotate around the UK on a quarterly cycle and are also presented during regional visits. Overseas businesses are celebrated during international visits.
To be eligible for an award, your business must have been recommended by a Department for International Trade (DIT) staff member and meet an independent judging panels criteria.
See the award winners.