BEIS Professional and Business Services sector team
This BEIS team contributes towards the department’s growth agenda by working with professional and business services (PBS).
PBS covers a range of services and the team focuses its work on a core set, including:
- legal services and accountancy
- management consultancy
- advertising and corporate communications services
- architectural and technical consulting
- recruitment and human resource services
Professional and Business Services Council
The team has a lead partnership with the industry-led Professional and Business Services Council (PBSC). The council is made up of representatives from the PBS sector and is co-chaired by a BEIS minister. The team also works with a range of trade associations, professional bodies and individual PBS businesses.
Current PBSC membership:
- Ministerial co-chair: Jesse Norman MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, BEIS
- Industry co-chair: Nick Owen, Chairman, Deloitte LLP
- Alan Belfield, Chairman, UK, Middle East and Africa, Arup
- Barrie Brien, Group Chief Executive, Creston
- Christine Hodgson, Chair, Capgemini UK plc
- Edward Braham, Senior Partner, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
- Kevin Ellis, Senior Partner, PwC
- James Kidwell, Chief Executive Officer, Braemer Shipping Services
- John Hicks, Director and Head of Government and Public Sector, AECOM
- Julia Budd, Founding Partner, The Zygos Partnership
- Ken Shuttleworth, Founding Partner, Make Architects
- Laurence Longe, National Managing Partner, RSM
- Michael Mainelli, Chief Executive, Z/Yen
- Richard Batten, UK Executive Chairman, Jones Lang Lasalle
- Robert Elliott, Senior Partner, Linklaters LLP
- Ronnie Bowie, Senior Partner, Hymans Robertson
- Steve Ingham, Chief Executive Officer, PageGroup
- Sonya Leydecker, Chief Executive, Herbert Smith Freehills
- Robin Webb, Deputy Director, Infrastructure and Construction, BEIS
- Rodney Berkeley, Director, Global Account, DIT
PBSC diversity and inclusion guide for business
The PBSC is keen to highlight how firms across the UK can make the most of their diverse workforces. It has published a Diversity and inclusion guide for businesses. This guide is designed to show how important diversity and inclusion can be for attracting new talent and improving employee engagement. The PBSC would welcome feedback on the guide.
PBSC Skills Taskforce
The PBSC identified access to skills as one of the main areas of work to support business growth in the industry. They set up the PBS Skills Taskforce, led by PwC. The Skills Taskforce published a report that outlines the progress made in 2014 to 2015.
Professional and Business Services (PBS) strategy
The PBSC, in partnership with BIS, drafted the PBS strategy, which was launched in July 2013 under the previous government.