This Sub-group now ceases to exist.
The Benefits and Expenses Sub-group has been subsumed by the Employment and Payroll Group with effect from December 2014.
|Jackie McGeehan - Chair||HMRC|
|Jas Jhooty||Business Application Software Developers Association|
|Trevor Blackmur||Association of Taxation Technicians|
|Simon Parsons||BCS Payroll group|
|Samantha Mann||Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals|
|Peter Bickley||Institute of Chartered Accountants (England & Wales)|
Terms of Reference
- The name of the sub-group will be the Benefits & Expenses Sub-group of the Employer Consultation Forum (“The Sub-group”). The Sub-group will be HMRC’s principal consultation forum for employers and their intermediaries on broad benefits & expenses policy issues.
- The Sub-group will be an effective forum for:
- HMRC to discuss, explain and explore the implications of policy changes concerning the taxation of employment income and related matters that may impact directly and indirectly on employers.
- To act as a confidential sounding board for proposed policy initiatives as directed by Treasury Ministers.
- Employers and other representative bodies to raise and discuss issues, problems or concerns about policy initiatives and policy changes.
- Discussion of issues of a practical nature, arising in the benefits and expenses area, with a view to resolving any problems/burdens as efficiently as possible. Other Government Departments may be invited when their potential changes to products and processes are identified as having an impact on employers’ payroll operations and end of year procedures.
- Minutes of Sub-group meetings will be made available to members of the Sub-group.
- Agenda items will be compiled by the secretary of the Sub-group from suggestions by both internal HMRC and external representatives. AOB items should normally be suggested a week in advance of each meeting.
- The sub group will be chaired by the Transport and Childcare Policy Adviser in PAYE & NICs Benefits, Expenses and Income team.
- The Sub-group will include one member representing each of the following organisations:
- British Computer Society.
- Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants.
- Chartered Institute of Taxation.
- Confederation of British Industry.
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of England & Wales.
- Institute of Payroll Professionals.
- It will also include representatives of the PAYE & NICs Benefits, Expenses and Income team other than the chair as appropriate.
- The Sub-group will be made up of nominees of employers’ and intermediaries’ representative organisations. The Sub-group will meet when it is considered to be appropriate by the members. Any of the members can call a meeting. If appropriate the Sub-group will discuss and decide on issues by e-mail between formal meetings. Exceptionally additional meetings may be called at short notice to discuss matters of urgency.
- The minutes, terms of reference and a list of representatives and the groups they represent will be published on the Internet. The minutes may need to be edited for publication to exclude items of a confidential nature (eg ‘proposed policy initiatives as directed by Treasury Ministers’).
- The Secretary of the Subgroup will liaise with Secretary of Employers’ Consultation Forum to ensure issues are discussed in the most suitable format, and thus to avoid duplication.
- Action points will be recorded by the Secretary, and representatives will be advised of progress by e-mail between meetings.
Meeting frequency - twice yearly.
Please see the National Archives website for previous minutes.