Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens
The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens' (ACDP) role is to provide scientific advice on the risks to exposure to pathogens and risk assessment advice on transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs)
Role of group
ACDP is an expert committee of the Department of Health. Its work cuts across a number of organisations, including the Health and Safety Executive, Public Health England and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
- Professor Thomas Evans, Acting Chair (University of Glasgow)
- Professor Michael Barer, University of Leicester
- Professor Malcolm Bennett (University of Nottingham)
- Professor Peter Chiodini (Hospital for Tropical Diseases, UCL Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust)
- Dr Effrossyni Gkrania-Klotsas (Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge)
- Dr / Lt Col Tiffany Hemming (MOD - Defence Medical Services)
- Professor Richard Holliman, Consultant Clinical Microbiologist - Retired
- Dr Michael Jacobs (Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust)
- Dr Michael Kidd (Health Services Laboratories and UCL Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London)
- Professor Jean Manson (The Roslin Institute, University of Edinburgh & R(D)SVS)
- Professor Dominic Mellor (University of Glasgow/Health Protection Scotland)
- Dr Roland Salmon (Consultant Epidemiologist- retired)
- Dr Gee Yen Shin (Public Health England)
- Dr Robert Shorten (Public Health Laboratory, Manchester)
- Dr Anne Tunbridge (Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust)
Terms of Reference
To provide independent scientific advice to the Health and Safety Executive, and Ministers for the Department of Health and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, and their counterparts under devolution in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, as required, on all aspects of hazards and risks to workers and others from exposure to pathogens. In addition, to provide the Food Standards Agency with independent scientific risk assessment advice on transmissible spongiform encephalopathies and maintain oversight of the work plan of the ACDP TSE Sub Group. In addition, the Committee will produce an annual report.
ACDP register of member interests (PDF, 203KB, 3 pages)
Papers and agendas for meetings prior to June 2013 can be found on the Health and Safety Executive’s website.
News and Publications
Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy Sub Group
The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens’ TSE Subgroup (formed in 2013 by a merger of the TSE Risk Assessment and the TSE Risk Management Subgroups) provides practical, scientifically based advice on the management of risks from TSEs, in order to limit or reduce the risks of human exposure to, or transmission of, TSEs in healthcare and other occupational settings.
TSE Subgroup Terms of Reference
To provide ACDP as requested with practical, scientifically based advice on the assessment and the management of risks from transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs). This advice should be in relation to food safety, public and animal health issues, taking appropriate account of present scientific uncertainty and assumptions in formulating advice on risk. To handle issues as referred, taking into account the work of other relevant bodies.
12 July 2012 minutes and agenda (ZIP, 254KB)
Public Health England
Virus Reference Department
61 Colindale Avenue
London NW9 5EQ
Tel: 020 8327 6969