The advisory board advises on the safety and quality of homeopathic medicines when there's an application for registration, marketing authorisation or licence of right.
Role of the advisory board
The Advisory Board on the Registration of Homeopathic Products’ (ABRHP):
- gives advice on safety and quality in relation to any homeopathic medicinal product for human use, in respect of which a certificate of registration has been granted or applied for
- gives advice on safety, quality and efficacy in relation to any homeopathic medicinal product for human use, in respect of which:
- a marketing authorisation has been granted or has been applied for
- a licence of right has been granted
Note: efficacy means acceptability within the UK homeopathic tradition.
The secretariat is based at the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
The members of the advisory board are:
- Professor Angus Mackay OBE, MA, PhD (Cantab), MB ChB, BSc (Pharmacol,) FRCP (Edin), FRCPsych, TPsych, Professor of Psychological Medicine, University of Glasgow (chair)
- Dr Robert Bracchi BSc, MB BCh, MD, FRCGP, General Practitioner and Honorary Senior Lecturer, Cardiff University
- Professor George B Lockwood BPharm (Hons), PhD MRPharmS, Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Manchester
- Ms Susan Hunneyball BSc (Hons), Lay Member
- Professor Susan Barker B.Pharm. (Hons), Ph.D., PGCHET, Head of the Medway School of Pharmacy, Medway School of Pharmacy, Universities of Greenwich and Kent at Medway, Kent
- Dr Jennifer Lenhart BScMedSc MBChB, MFHom, MA, Associate Specialist Homeopathic Physician, The Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine, UCLH NHS Trust, London
- Ms Sarah Mawhinney Bsc (Hons), MPSNI, FPS, DF Hom(Pharm), Community Pharmacist Northern Ireland
See the final summary minutes for ABRHP for 2014 to 2015, which you can download.
For previous minutes, see the ABRHP page on the archived MHRA website
Information for new applicants
If you are interested in joining the Advisory Board on the Registration of Homeopathic Products please contact ECSRecruitment@mhra.gov.uk.
Contact the expert committee support team
You can address your enquiries to:
Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)
10 South Colonnade
Telephone: 020 3080 6000