The advisory board advises on the safety and quality of homeopathic medicines when there's an application for registration, marketing authorisation or licence of right.
Role of the advisory board
The Advisory Board on the Registration of Homeopathic Products’ (ABRHP):
- gives advice on safety and quality in relation to any homeopathic medicinal product for human use, in respect of which a certificate of registration has been granted or applied for
- gives advice on safety, quality and efficacy in relation to any homeopathic medicinal product for human use, in respect of which:
- a marketing authorisation has been granted or has been applied for
- a licence of right has been granted
Note: efficacy means acceptability within the UK homeopathic tradition.
The secretariat is based at the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
We are currently looking for 2 new members. The closing date is 15 September 2015.
See guidance notes to companies on hearings and written representations to the ABRHP (PDF, 48.9KB, 9 pages) .
The members of the advisory board are:
- Professor Angus Mackay OBE MA PhD (Cantab) MB ChB BSc (Pharmacol) FRCP (Edin) FRCPsych TPsych Professor of Psychological Medicine, University of Glasgow (chair)
- Dr Michael R Evans MB ChB Principal in General Practice, St Luke’s Medical Centre Stroud, Clinical Teacher in General Practice, University of Bristol & Faculty Member, British Postgraduate Training in Anthroposophic Medicine (vice chair)
- Dr Ian Bailey BSc PhD Lecturer in Biochemical Toxicology and Deputy Director of Postgraduate studies, University of Westminster
- Dr Steve Bennett Britton MA MB BChir FRCP FRCPCH Consultant Paediatrician, Sutton Coldfield
- Dr Robert J Boyle MB ChB MRCP PhD Clinical Senior Lecturer in Paediatric Allergy, Imperial College London
- Dr Robert Bracchi BSc MB BCh MD FRCGP General Practitioner and Honorary Senior Lecturer, Cardiff University
- Mrs Patricia Donnachie RN OHNP MF (Hom) FF (Hom) Nursing Dean/Specialist Nurse Practitioner Homeopathy, St John’s Hospital, West Lothian
- Professor Gillian M Eccleston BSc PhD CChem FRSC FRPharmS Professor of Pharmaceutics, Strathclyde University
- Professor George B Lockwood BPharm (Hons) PhD MRPharmS Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Manchester
- Dr Frank Mulder General Practitioner, Helios Medical Centre, Bristol
- Dr Gary J Smyth MB CHB DGM DMH DRCOG DFSRH MRCGP MFHOM General Practitioner and Homeopathic Physician, Belfast, Northern Ireland
See the final summary minutes for ABRHP for 2014 to 2015, which you can download.
For previous minutes, see the ABRHP page on the archived MHRA website
Contact the expert committee support team
You can address your enquiries to:
Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)
151 Buckingham Palace Road
Telephone: 020 3080 6000