Find postgraduate teacher training courses

Find postgraduate teaching courses in England if you want to teach in a state primary or secondary school, or in further education.

You can find courses in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Start now

Before you start

You need to check what qualifications you need.

Primary and secondary postgraduate teacher training

You’ll need the following or equivalents:

  • a degree
  • grade 4 (C) or above in English and maths GCSEs
  • grade 4 (C) or above in GCSE science if you want to teach primary

If you do not have GCSE grade 4 (C), you’ll need to show that you can meet an equivalent level. The training provider may ask you to take an equivalence test or show other evidence of your ability.

Further education postgraduate teacher training

Training providers usually prefer you to have:

  • a degree, or relevant vocational or technical qualification
  • grade 4 (C) or above in English and maths GCSEs (or equivalent)

If you studied overseas

You can get a statement from UK ENIC (the UK agency that recognises international qualifications and skills) that shows how your qualifications compare to UK qualifications. Some training providers may ask to see it as part of your application.

After you’re offered a place on a course

You’ll need to:

  • confirm you have the health and physical capacity to start training
  • get a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate if you’re teaching students under 18
  • apply for a visa if you need one

Get advice and support

You can visit Get Into Teaching, the Department for Education’s free support and advice service.

A specialist adviser will help you prepare your application and advise you on funding options (including loans and tax-free bursaries and scholarships). You can also book school experiences and access teaching events.