Correct a death registration

1. What corrections can be made

You can’t change a death certificate once it’s been issued, but you can apply to get a note added to the original entry in the death register.

You can then get an updated certificate issued that shows this note.

Corrections to a death registration can only be made when the information is wrong (eg a mistake in spelling a person’s name).

Who to apply to

You can either apply for a correction to:

  • the register office where the death was registered - for minor mistakes in a date of death, birthplace or address

  • the General Register Office (GRO) - for mistakes involving things like names

If you’re unsure who to apply to, contact the relevant register office or the GRO.

General Register Office helpline
Telephone: 0300 123 1837
Find out about call charges

There is a different procedure for correcting a death registration after a coroner’s inquest - contact the relevant register office to find out what to do.

What the correction looks like

The original information will always be shown in the death register. After the correction has been authorised, a note will be added to the margin of the register. This will explain what the correct information is and when the correction was made.

If you apply for a new death certificate, the note containing the correct information will be in the margin.