- last for a certain length of time
- are set in advance
- end when a specific task is completed
- end when a specific event takes place
Fixed-term employees must receive the same treatment as full-time permanent staff.
Find out more about fixed-term employees’ rights, and what to do about renewing or ending a fixed-term contract.
Step 1 Decide what type of employee you need
and Check you can afford to take on employees
- Check how much the National Minimum Wage is
- Find out how much National Insurance you need to pay for your employees
- Check how much sick pay your employees are eligible for
- Check how much you need to pay towards your employee's pension
- Check how much Maternity Leave you need to pay your employees
- Check how much Paternity Leave you need to pay your employees
Step 2 Make your workplace safe and accessible for employees
- Prevent discrimination
- Make your workplace accessible for employees with disabilities or health conditions
- Keep employee information and data safe
- Fire safety
- Health and safety
You also need to make checks when you recruit and employ someone.
Step 3 Register as an employer and set up PAYE
You need to register with HMRC so you can pay tax and national insurance for your employees.
Step 4 Check your responsibilities around workplace pensions
Step 5 Get Employers' Liability insurance
Step 6 Recruit and employ staff