Complain about a driving instructor

Complain about an approved driving instructor (ADI) if you’re not happy with their service or behaviour.

Service from your driving instructor

Contact the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if your instructor:

  • provides lessons that are shorter than agreed
  • keeps cancelling or arriving late for lessons
  • doesn’t provide lessons that you’ve already paid for

DVSA driving instructor team

PO Box 349
NE12 2GN

DVSA can ask the instructor about the matter on your behalf, but they can’t help you get any money back.

Your driving instructor’s behaviour

Contact DVSA if your driving instructor is behaving inappropriately, for example:

  • using their mobile phone while you’re driving
  • shouting or swearing at you
  • using inappropriate language, either in person or in messages they’ve sent to you
  • using unnecessary physical contact

DVSA driving instructor team

Information you need

It will help DVSA’s investigation if you can give them any of the following:

  • your full name
  • an email address or telephone number
  • the name of the driving instructor and driving school
  • the dates the incidents happened
  • any evidence, such as receipts or screenshots of messages from your driving instructor

DVSA won’t make you report the incident to the police unless you want to.

  1. Step 1 Check you're allowed to drive

    Most people can start learning to drive when they’re 17.

    1. Check what age you can drive
    2. Requirements for driving legally
    3. Driving eyesight rules
  2. Step 2 Get a provisional licence

  3. Step 3 Driving lessons and practice

  4. and Prepare for your theory test

  5. Step 4 Book and manage your theory test

  6. Step 5 Book and manage your driving test

  7. Step 6 When you pass

    You can start driving as soon as you pass your driving test.

    You must have an insurance policy that allows you to drive without supervision.

    1. Find out about Pass Plus training courses