Professional and Career Development Loans


To apply you must:

  • be 18 or over
  • have been living in the UK for at least 3 years before your course starts
  • plan to work in the UK, European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) after the course

You must also be a citizen of one of the following:

  • the UK
  • a country in the EEA, including Swizerland
  • a country in an EU overseas territory

Contact the National Careers Service if you’re not sure about your eligibility.

Which courses qualify?

Courses must:

  • only last up to 2 years, or 3 years if they include 1 year of work experience
  • be provided by an organisation on the Professional Career and Development Loan Register - check with your course provider
  • help with your career - they do not have to lead to a qualification

You cannot get Professional and Career Development Loans for first full-time degrees but you can apply for student finance.