2. Plants

You can bring in any plant material from countries within the European Union (EU) if it is:

  • grown in an EU country
  • free from pests and diseases
  • for your own use

If you’re travelling from a country outside the EU, many products have weight and quantity restrictions or are banned completely unless you have a ‘phytosanitary’ (plant health) certificate.

You can get the certificate from the plant health authorities in the country you’re leaving. It proves your plants have been inspected, are free from dangerous pests and diseases, and are suitable to enter the UK.

The leaflet ‘Bringing fruit, vegetable and plant products into the UK has more information on which plant material you can bring in, and how much of each item is allowed.

If you have specific questions, contact the Food and Environment Research Agency (Fera).

Food and Environment Research Agency
Telephone: 0844 248 0071
24 hours a day

From outside the UK: +44 (0)1904 465625
Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.