Bringing food, animals or plants into the UK


What you can bring into the UK depends on whether you’re travelling from within or outside the European Union.

The EU also includes Andorra, Canary Islands, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Liechtenstein, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland in this context.

Within the EU

You can bring any fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy or other animal products (eg fish, eggs and honey) into the UK if you’re travelling from a country within the EU.

Outside the EU

Meat, dairy products and potatoes

You can’t bring meat, meat products, milk, dairy products or potatoes into the UK from outside the EU unless you’re coming from:

  • Iceland
  • the Faroe Islands
  • Greenland

You can bring up to 10kg from these countries.

Fruit and vegetables

You can bring up to 2kg of fruit and vegetables (except potatoes) into the UK as long as they are:

  • in personal baggage
  • for you and your family or friends (ie you can’t sell them)
  • free from signs of pests and diseases

Eggs, honey and fish

You can bring:

  • egg products, eggs and honey (up to 2kg in total)
  • fish (up to 20kg in total or 1 fish, whichever is the heaviest)

Any fish you bring in must be fresh and gutted, cooked, cured, dried or smoked.

Penalties and appeals

If you’re coming back to the UK from outside the EU and you don’t declare food that’s not allowed, it will be taken away. You could face severe delays and face possible charge and prosecution.

You can appeal for compensation if you think your products shouldn’t have been taken away.

Further information

Read ‘Bringing food products into the UK’ and ‘Personal food import rules’ for more information.