Visas when you separate or divorce

Skip to contents of guide

Tell the Home Office

You must tell the Home Office when you divorce or separate from your partner if your visa is based on your relationship.

You must then either apply for a new visa or leave the UK.

Your visa is based on your relationship if you have permission to stay in the UK for a limited time as:

  • a dependant on your partner’s UK visa
  • a spouse or partner on a family visa

Your visa may also be based on your relationship if you have a family permit.

The same rules apply if your ex-partner’s visa is based on your relationship (for example they’re your dependant or you’re their ‘sponsor’).

How to tell the Home Office

Send an email to the Home Office to tell them that the relationship has ended.

The email must include both you and your ex-partner’s:

  • name
  • date of birth
  • address
  • passport number
  • Home Office reference number (you’ll find it on letters sent from the Home Office)

If you or your ex-partner have children in the UK, you must also include:

  • their names and dates of birth
  • names of their parents or guardians, and who they live with
  • how much time they spend with you or your ex-partner
  • how much child maintenance or financial help you give each other
  • details of any family court cases you’re involved in

Forms you must attach to your email

Print and sign one of these forms:

  • public statement if you don’t want the Home Office to tell your ex-partner any details from your email
  • consent form if you’re happy for the Home Office to tell your ex-partner details from your email

Attach a scan of the signed form to your email.

Both forms give the Home Office permission to contact your ex-partner at the address you give.

Where to send your email

Include ‘MARRIAGE BREAKDOWN’ in the subject line.

If you cannot send an email

If you do not have access to email, you can post a letter with your signed form.

UK Visas and Immigration
Status Review Unit
7th Floor
The Capital
New Hall Place
L3 9PP

  1. Step 1 Get support and advice

    You can get support or counselling to help you through the divorce process.

    1. Get support and advice from Relate
    2. Find a counsellor on Counselling Directory
  2. Step 2 Check if you can get divorced

  3. Step 3 Make arrangements for children, money and property

  4. Step 4 Apply for a divorce

  5. Step 5 Apply for 'decree nisi'

    You need to apply for a 'decree nisi' and give the court more information about why your marriage has broken down.

    1. Apply for a decree nisi
  6. Step 6 Finalise your divorce

    You need to apply for a 'decree absolute' to finalise your divorce. You'll have to wait 6 weeks and 1 day from the date of your decree nisi.

    1. Apply for a decree absolute

    Once the court approves your decree absolute, they'll send you both a copy of it and your divorce will be complete.

  7. Step 7 Report that your circumstances have changed

    You also have to tell other government organisations that you're getting divorced if: