Working for UK Joint Delegation to NATO
The UK Joint Delegation to NATO offers employees a challenging, varied and interesting opportunity to work for a mixed civilian and military organisation.
Our daily work relies on the input of dedicated individuals who engage on many different topics and activities. We seek to employ candidates from a range of backgrounds who bring their own talents to the role.
Some staff in our teams have been recruited locally here in Brussels. We value the knowledge and expertise that they bring to our organisation and we are expanding the variety of vital functions they perform within the UK Joint Delegation. Our policy on local staff recruitment is to select the best candidate for the job through a fair, open and valid selection process.Our vacancies are advertised on this webpage, external recruitment websites and our Twitter account.
Currently, we have the following job opportunity:
A full-time position as a locally engaged Media and Communications Officer (C4L) in the UK Joint Delegation to NATO in Brussels has become available. We are looking for a motivated communications, public affairs or media professional to communicate the UK’s commitment to and priorities for NATO. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to play a central role in communications activities that help deliver UK policy objectives. You will work in the Politics & Communications Team, leading on communications for the Delegation and coordinating closely with colleagues on a busy and fast-paced communications portfolio which includes: ministerial press conferences; briefing senior staff; liaising closely with NATO press office; and working with contacts across Whitehall and overseas posts to develop and shape communications strategies on the UK’s role in NATO, and NATO’s role in the world. The jobholder will play a lead role in helping shape NATO’s response to the communications aspects of current security challenges including the Ukraine crisis.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
- Drive and develop communications policy for the UK in NATO, representing the UK on relevant NATO committees and shaping communications strategies in support of NATO business. Work to secure an improved understanding of the Alliance among key audiences.
- Develop and deliver the Delegation’s communications strategy, using a full range of communication tools including digital media to deliver UK NATO policy objectives. Generate political analysis of current media trends as part of the output of the Politics & Communications Team.
- Establish and develop contacts across NATO and in UK Government departments, particularly the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Ministry of Defence and Cabinet Office. Work closely with these contacts to coordinate and influence UK and NATO communication activities and messages.
- Lead in coordinating and implementing UK media strategies for top-level NATO events, particularly ministerial meetings and the 2016 NATO Summit.
- Act as the Delegation spokesperson, building relations with the media and confidently delivering key messages to them and influential visitor groups, both verbally and in writing.
- Oversee the Delegation’s digital work and manage the Deputy Communications & Digital Media Officer.
Key Competencies Required
- Strong communications, public affairs or media experience.
- Experience of working with a wide network of contacts, and ability to demonstrate lobbying and influencing skills.
- Strong interpersonal, team working and customer focus skills.
- Ability to grasp complex issues quickly and communicate them simply and effectively.
- Excellent organisational and managerial skills, including self-management of workload and work/life balance.
- Experience of working with social media.
- Adaptability and resilience under pressure.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Excellent IT skills, including experience of Outlook, Word and PowerPoint.
Desired Experience and Skills
- Knowledge of NATO and UK Government institutions and procedures.
- French language skills would be an advantage.
Terms and Conditions
This is a fixed term contract, for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week.
The successful candidate will be subject to a professional background check and security clearance. The monthly salary for this position is €3,444.87 gross, C4 (L) level, and an additional allowance of €406.84 (The UK Missions in Belgium salaries are not subject to annual indexation).
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Belgium. The British Embassy does not sponsor work permits.
All applicants should submit their CV (in English, up to 3 pages), and a Covering Letter (in English, no more than 1 page of A4, font size Arial 11) setting out their motivation for the role and how they meet the above criteria.
Applications should be sent to jobapplications.BEL@fco.gov.uk with the email subject line: BEL191
The closing date for applications is Tuesday 28 April 2015.
We expect to hold interviews in the week commencing 11 May 2015, with a view to the successful applicant starting work as soon as possible, subject to vetting, references and administrative processes.
Kindly note that your application will only be considered if:
• Your application has been sent within the time frame requested • Your application documents are fully in English • Your applications documents are in .pdf format
Please note that, because of the volume of applications we receive, we will only contact candidates selected for interview. If you do not hear from us you should assume that your application has not been successful. Please be advised that the Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job. British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.