Statistical data set
Outcome of unduly lenient sentence referrals
Recent sentences examined by the Attorney General’s Office under the Unduly Lenient Sentence Scheme
Members of the public can ask the Attorney General’s office to examine sentences handed down by Crown Courts in England and Wales within 28 days of sentencing under the Unduly Lenient Sentence scheme (ULS).
This document is intended to assist the public in reviewing cases which have recently been submitted to the Attorney General’s office. This includes the sentences examined, the outcome and details of the cases. This data is updated weekly.
Please note that as reporting restrictions exist in a number of these cases, names of all offenders have been truncated to only include offenders’ initials. Members of the public can still search for specific cases by knowing the offence, court of sentence and original sentence.
In cases involving multiple offenders; while each offender is listed separately, they are linked by a unique case reference number. The reason for the referral could relate to one substantive error made during sentencing which has affected multiple sentencing decisions, regardless of the number of offenders involved.
Find out more on how to ask for a Crown Court sentence to be reviewed as well as further guidance about unduly lenient sentences.
ULS stat publication - 14 February Excel (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 27.1KB)
ULS stat publication - 14 February CSV (CSV, 27.9KB)
Published: 3 May 2016
Updated: 14 February 2017
- updated statistics from 14 February 2017
- Updated weekly statistics from 7 February 2017
- updated weekly statistics from 31 January 2017
- updated weekly statistics for 24 January 2017
- updated statistical data for 10 January 2017
- updated statistical set from 03 January 2017
- Updated statistics for 22 December 2016
- Updated statistics, correct as of 13 December 2016
- updated Statistical data for ULS referrals dated 06 December 2016
- updated statistics from 22 November 2016
- updated statistics
- updated statistics
- Updated with statistics from 18 October 2016
- updated statistics for unduly lenient sentence referrals from 11 October
- updated statistics for 4 October 2016
- updated weekly statistics for 27 September 2016
- Publication of new ULS statistics – 20 September
- Publication of new statistics - 23 August 2016
- Publication of ULS Statistics - 16 August
- Publication of new statistics - 9 August 2016
- Publication of new ULS statistics - 2 August 2016
- Publication of new ULS Statistics - 26 July 2016
- Publication of new ULS statistics - 19 July 2016
- Publication of new ULS statistics – 16 June
- Publication of new ULS statistics – 9 June
- Publication of new ULS statistics – 3 June
- Publication of new ULS statistics - 24 May
- Updated ULS statistics - 17 May
- New ULS data - 10 May
- First published.