Apply for this licence

Start now on the Civil Aviation Authority website


There are 4 types of ATOL licence:

  • standard ATOL – if you plan to carry more than 500 passengers each year
  • small business ATOL – if you plan to sell less than 500 flights or holidays each year
  • ATOL to ATOL trade sales – if you sell flights or holiday packages to other ATOL holders
  • franchised ATOL – if you are a member of an approved travel trade organisation and sell fewer than 1,000 flights or holidays each year

You don’t need your own ATOL if you are selling flights as an agent for an ATOL holder. However, you must record and keep documentation of your sales.

How to apply

Download the application form for either the Standard ATOL application or Small business ATOP application.

You can also use the Standard ATOL application to apply for ATOL to ATOL trade sales.

To apply for a franchised ATOL apply direct to the approved organisation you belong to.

You can find information and documentation to apply for a new ATOL on the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) website or contact the helpdesk for new applicants for help with your application.

ATOL licence helpdesk - new applicants
Telephone: 020 7453 6361
Fax: 020 7453 6494
Find out about call charges

ATOL Certificate for your customers

From 1 October 2012 you must supply all customers who pay towards any flight or holiday that is ATOL protected, with an ATOL Certificate. The certificate must state how a trip involving air travel is protected and by whom.

Find details about the certificate on the CAA website.