Head of DFID Overseas Territories
Find out how the UK will respond to opportunities and challenges, what is being achieved for the UK and who we are working with.
The UK is responsible under the United Nations Charter for promoting the development and wellbeing of the inhabitants of its 14 Overseas Territories (OTs). DFID provides aid to 3 OTs eligible for Official Development Assistance (ODA): Montserrat, St Helena (including Tristan da Cunha) and Pitcairn. This ensures their governments can provide effective public services to their citizens as efficiently as possible. These islands face long term financial dependency on the UK due to their remote locations, weak economies, small and ageing populations and lack of skilled people to fill critical roles. All 3 OTs are also vulnerable to financial instability and natural disasters.
DFID support helps ensure physical access to the islands and essential services such as health and social care, education, transport and policing. DFID support is crucial for vulnerable people including the elderly, low-earners, physically and mentally disabled people, and children at risk of harm.
The long term objective shared between the UK and the OTs which are in receipt of aid is to reduce and ultimately eliminate financial dependency on the UK. DFID supports improved governance, including public financial management. Where it will contribute to the long term objective of self sufficiency, DFID will consider selected capital investments which support social development, economic growth and build resilience against natural disasters, in line with our commitment to meet the reasonable needs of the inhabitants of the OTs.
To find out how the UK will respond to opportunities and challenges, what is being achieved for the UK and who we are working with please read the full country profile for the Overseas Territories.
For detailed information on our programme and what the UK spends on development in the Overseas Territories, see:
- Development Tracker: Montserrat to explore international development projects funded by the UK government by country and sector
- Montserrat and the UK updates, news and events from the UK government in Montserrat
- Development Tracker: Pitcairn Island to explore international development projects funded by the UK government by country and sector
- Pitcairn Island and the UK updates, news and events from the UK government in Pitcairn Island
- Development Tracker: St Helena to explore international development projects funded by the UK government by country and sector
- St Helena and the UK updates, news and events from the UK government in St Helena
DFID Overseas Territories
Tel: +44 (0) 1355 844000