The British Consulate General in Amsterdam maintains and develops relations between the UK and the Netherlands.

Our staff are currently working remotely due to coronavirus (COVID-19), however we are available 24/7. If you are need of urgent assistance, please stay on the line and select the option ‘calling about an emergency involving a British national’ to speak to an officer.

Find out more on our UK and The Netherlands news page.

The British Consulate General in Amsterdam provides services to British nationals living in and visiting in the Netherlands and the Dutch Caribbean (Curacao, Aruba, St Maarten, Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba).

You can access UK government services while in the Netherlands or the Dutch Caribbean.

Read the latest information on the rights and status of UK nationals living in Europe including our practical guide to Living in The Netherlands.

Urgent assistance

If you’re travelling in the Netherlands, see how to Return to the UK during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. If you cannot return at this time, see how to stay safely in the Netherlands during coronavirus.

See also our coronavirus travel advice for all our latest guidance on travel during coronavirus.

If you’re in Netherlands or the Dutch Caribbean and you need advice which is not covered by reading our travel advice then you can contact us online

If you’re in the Netherlands or the Dutch Caribbean and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +31 (0)70 4270 427.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

Apply online for an emergency travel document

If the person needing the emergency travel document is under 16, a parent or guardian should apply on their behalf.

If you are in the Dutch Caribbean and need an ETD, please apply online.

If you are travelling in more than 3 weeks, check if you can get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are not a British citizen or have not had a British passport before

If you’re not sure, check if you’re a British citizen

If you’re not a British citizen but think you may be eligible, contact us to apply for an emergency travel document.

Other consular services

Notarial and documentary services

The consulate general provides a limited number of notarial and documentary services. Read the notarial guide for more information.


The first step you should take if you wish to get married in the Netherlands is to approach the Gemeente (town hall) where you wish to marry. Please note that the consulate general or the embassy in The Hague cannot issue declarations of marital status or Certificates of Non-Impediment. If the Gemeente asks you to provide these documents, please print this explanatory letter and present it to them.

For information on getting married in the Netherlands or the Dutch Caribbean, see getting married abroad.

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in the Netherlands.

We also provide services The Hague.

Our people

Contact us

British Consulate General Amsterdam

Koningslaan 44
1075 AE Amsterdam

Use our contact form for consular enquiries, including on your rights after the UK’s exit from the EU:

Notarial and documentary services by appointment only.

The consulate does not process visas. Please visit for further information.

Access and opening times