Apply for this licence
Start now on the Hairdressing Council website
You can choose to register as a state-registered hairdresser (SRH) with the Hairdressing Council.
This let’s you:
- get a certificate which states your legal right to trade with the public and that you are qualified to practise as a hairdresser
- apply for the Master Craftsman Diploma
- get credentials to have your skills recognised internationally
If you choose to register with the Hairdressing Council you need:
- a minimum of NVQ Level 2 or six years’ hairdressing experience
- to pay a registration fee of £37 (or £45 for a framed certificate)
However, even if you don’t apply for SRH status, you must check whether you need to register your hairdressing business with your local authority for health and safety reasons (England and Wales only).