Switch to this visa
You can apply to change (‘switch’) from another visa to a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You must already be in the UK as a:
- student nurse
- student re-sitting an examination
- student writing up a thesis
- Tier 4 (General) visa holder
- postgraduate doctor or dentist
- Tier 2 (General) migrant working as a post-doctoral researcher
You must meet all of the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa’s eligibility requirements.
You can’t switch to this visa if you’ve already had a visa under one of the following categories:
- Tier 1 (Post Study Worker)
- Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme
- International Graduates Scheme
- Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for one year on a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa.
How to apply to switch your visa
Download and fill in the application form and send it with your documents to the address on the front of the form.
You must also provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo). This costs £19.20.
You can give your biometric information at certain Post Office branches.
You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to switch your visa is successful.
How long it takes
A decision will be made on your application within 8 weeks.
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, eg:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.