Switch to this visa
You can apply to change (‘switch’) from another visa to a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You must already be in the UK as a:
- student nurse
- student re-sitting an examination
- student writing up a thesis
- Tier 4 (General) visa holder
- postgraduate doctor or dentist
- Tier 2 (General) migrant working as a post-doctoral researcher
You must meet all of the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa’s eligibility requirements.
You cannot switch to this visa if you’ve already had a visa under one of the following categories:
- Tier 1 (Post Study Worker)
- Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme
- International Graduates Scheme
- Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for one year on a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa.
How to apply to switch your visa
You must apply apply online.
You must also pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken. You’ll be told how to do this after you’ve applied.
You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to switch your visa is successful.
Get help using a computer to apply online
You can get help with:
- accessing a computer or the internet
- finding the right information on GOV.UK
You cannot get advice on:
- whether you’re eligible to apply
- what information to put in your application
- an application you’ve already made
How long it takes
A decision will be made on your application within 8 weeks.
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, eg:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.