UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) provides a variety of support for Medium-Sized Businesses (companies with a turnover of between £25 million and £250 million)
Medium-Sized Businesses (MSBs) are major employers and make an important contribution to the growth of the economy. UKTI provide a special package of support specifically for these businesses.
The service helps medium-sized businesses to assess their export capability and get started in international trade, or develop their existing export operations further.
How the service works
Support is delivered by UKTI’s regional International Trade Teams. Exporters will be assigned local UKTI trade experts to work with.
This can include:
advice and support from a UKTI International Trade Adviser
- help with developing an export strategy and action plans tailored to MSBs’ needs
- guidance on routes to market most relevant to MSBs
- advice on international business culture
- access to UKTI’s global network
- advice on marketing research projects, including market selection and sources of information
- support from UK Export Finance (UKEF)
- an Intellectual Property Health check
On 7 April 2014, at the start of a three-day trade trip to Brazil, the Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne announced an additional £4 million a year for UKTI to triple the number of medium size business (MSB) international trade advisers (ITAs), which will support the export ambitions of 3,000 companies.
With this money UKTI will also be enhancing its offer to MSBs.
The new offer will include:
- access to High Value Opportunities in major projects overseas,
- participation in MSB trade missions
- membership of regional medium-sized business clubs
- access to postgraduate placement opportunities
- tailored signposting to other government support
- free access to structured trade export finance advice from UK Export Finance
After Easter Lord Livingston, the Minister for Trade & Investment, will be writing to every MSB about the UKTI support, followed up by direct contact by UKTI’s regional network of trade advisers, offering a high-level relationship with those companies that wish to deal with UKTI.
Companies with a turnover of between £25 million and £250 million are eligible to use the programme. Companies in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland should check eligibility with the devolved administrations’ trade and investment organisations
How to apply
Contact your International Trade Team to apply for the service or to find out more information. A member of the team will be in touch within 5 working days to discuss your needs and the service options which are best suited to you.
Advice from an International Trade Adviser is free. Your trade adviser will advise on any other specific costs related to your tailored programme