- Department for International Development
- 15 February 2016
- Bangladesh, Burma, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Ghana Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Nepal, Pakistan, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
- Climate change, Education, Environment, Girls and women, Health Humanitarian emergencies/disasters, Private sector/business, Technology, and Water and sanitation
- Eligible organisations:
- Companies and Educational institutions
- Value of funding:
- Up to £100,000 and £100,001 to £500,000
The partnership will use market-based approaches to meet low-income household needs in developing countries around water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) and energy.
The funding round is now closed but there may be further opportunity later in the year.
The fund will use market-based approaches to meet low-income household needs in developing countries around water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) and energy. It will fund and provide technical and operational support to business and research projects. Full details are available on the Transform website.
The fund has a 2 stage selection process.
Successful applicants will be notified within 4 weeks of the submission deadline if their application passed the first round. They will then have another 4 weeks, from the date this notification, to submit a full proposal for the second round of evaluation.
Following this, applicants will be notified of the funding decision.
What the fund will achieve
Projects which will create:
- transformative, and financially viable, social businesses capable of meeting WASH and energy needs
- research that informs how businesses can deliver more effective behaviour change. A particular focus will be on the use of mobile and digital technologies
How to apply
Research may be based in any of the DFID’s priority countries, however we particularly encourage research proposals relevant to Kenya, Ghana or Nigeria.
- Social networks and spread of behaviour change
- Rich representation of information in data-constrained environments
- Sanitation demand creation
Background information on the fund
Proposals are requested both for innovative business ideas and research projects. Proposals should meet all 3 criteria:
- aim to meet WASH and/or energy needs and alleviate poverty
- come under at least one of the business or research themes listed
- be applicable to sub-Saharan Africa, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Burma, or Nepal
Published: 15 February 2016
Countries: Bangladesh Burma Democratic Republic of the Congo Ethiopia Ghana Kenya Liberia Malawi Mozambique Nepal Pakistan Rwanda Sierra Leone Somalia South Africa Sudan South Sudan Tanzania Uganda Zambia Zimbabwe