Contact your council for a licence to rent out your property as a house in multiple occupation (HMO) in England or Wales.
A house in multiple occupation is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 ‘household’ (eg a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. It’s sometimes called a ‘house share’.
You must have a licence if you’re renting out a large HMO. Your property is defined as a large HMO if all of the following apply:
- it’s rented to 5 or more people who form more than 1 household
- it’s at least 3 storeys high
- tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities
Even if your property is smaller and rented to fewer people, you may still need a licence depending on the area. Check with your council.
A licence is valid for a maximum of 5 years.
You must renew your licence before it runs out.
You need a separate licence for each HMO you run.
You must make sure:
- the house is suitable for the number of occupants (eg size and facilities)
- the manager of the house - you or an agent - is considered to be ‘fit and proper’, eg no criminal record, or breach of landlord laws or code of practice
You must also:
- send the council an updated gas safety certificate every year
- install and maintain smoke alarms
- provide safety certificates for all electrical appliances when requested
The council may add other conditions to your licence, eg improving the standard of your facilities. They will let you know when you apply.
If you disagree with any conditions the council sets, you can appeal to the First-Tier Tribunal.
How to apply
Contact the council to request an HMO licence.
You should apply for the licence yourself, but if you use a managing agent they can apply for you.
You’ll be charged a fee which is set by the council.
Fines and penalties
You could get an unlimited fine for renting out an unlicensed HMO.
Read the guide for landlords and managers who manage HMOs for more information.
The issuing authority for this licence is Vale of Glamorgan Council (change location)
You can contact them using the details below.