Preparing for no deal Brexit if you work in tourism

Use our 10 point checklist to understand what you need to do to prepare for no deal Brexit if you work in the tourism or hospitality business.

Use our 10 point checklist to understand what you need to do to prepare for no deal Brexit if you work in the tourism or hospitality business. For a more comprehensive overview use the Get ready for Brexit checker.

Your employees

Step 1 - Check if your employees need a visa or work permit and meet any requirements for visiting the country they’re going to for business purposes

You or your employees may not be able to enter or work in some countries without the right visa or permit. Read the guidance: Providing services to any country in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland after Brexit.

If you have workers in EU countries then you should also find out when you need to pay social security contributions in the UK and other EU, EEA countries and Switzerland in a no-deal Brexit.

Step 2 - ask your employees to check if they need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme

Your employees may not be able to continue living or working in the UK as they do now, if they do not apply to the scheme. The EU Settlement Scheme is open and it is free to apply.

Read the guidance: Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (settled and pre-settled status) and access the employer toolkit to support EU employees.

Step 3 - prepare to recruit after Brexit

EU citizens and their close family members who move to the UK after Brexit and wish to stay beyond 2020 will need to apply for a UK immigration status granting them permission to stay.

Read the guidance on no deal immigration arrangements for EU citizens arriving after Brexit.

Your business and data

Step 4 - check if you need to change the way you access personal data from the EU/EEA

If your organisation receives personal data from the EU/EEA, you should review your contracts to ensure you can continue to do so legally.

Read the guidance on, including examples of personal data flows, and further detail on from the Information Commissioner’s Office’s website (ICO) for Using personal data in your business or organisation if there’s no Brexit deal.

Step 5 - get an EORI number that starts with GB to move your goods into or out of the EU

After a no deal Brexit you will not be able to buy goods from or sell goods to the EU without an EORI number which starts with GB. An EORI number is a European Union registration and identification number for businesses which import or export of goods in or out of the EU.

Read the guidance: Get an EORI number. If you are transporting goods on a temporary basis only, for example equipment for a trade fair, read this guidance to make sure you’re prepared.

Step 6 - if you sell any services, such as tours and bookings, to those living in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland after Brexit, read this guidance to see what additional steps you may need to take

UK organisations may face additional legal, regulatory and administrative barriers, including appointing local representatives and meeting trade regulations.

Travelling to Europe

Step 7 - read the guidance: Visiting Europe after Brexit

This includes:

Step 8 - check if you need an International Driving Permit before you drive in the EU, EEA or Switzerland

Follow the driving abroad guidance to make sure you can legally drive in the countries you’re travelling to avoid getting a fine, or your vehicle seized.

Step 9 - check what documents you need to run unscheduled bus or coach services in EU countries

You may not be able to run unscheduled services in Europe without the right documents.

Read the following guidance:

Your customers and online services

Step 10 - provide clear information to international visitors travelling to the UK and check that your online activities are compliant

Read the guidance: Visiting the UK after Brexit. This includes guidance on:

  • What visitors need to enter the UK

  • What visitors need to show at the UK border

  • Driving in the UK

  • What visitors can bring into the UK

  • Using a mobile phone in the UK

Also read the guidance on healthcare cover for EU nationals visiting the UK. After Brexit the NHS healthcare cover may change for residents of EU countries, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland visiting the UK.

If you have a .eu domain name, read the guidance for .eu domain names if there’s no Brexit deal.

If you provide online services across the EU/EEA, read the guidance for what UK businesses should do to comply with rules governing online activities if there’s no Brexit deal.

Published 2 October 2019