Living in Switzerland

Official information British people moving to and living in Switzerland need to know, including EU Exit guidance, residency, healthcare and driving.

EU Exit: what you need to know

Sign up for email alerts on living in Switzerland.

There will be no change to the rights and status of UK nationals living in Switzerland while the UK remains in the EU.

The UK has reached an agreement with Switzerland which protects the rights of UK and Swiss nationals who have chosen to call each other’s countries home. This agreement also applies in a ‘no deal’ scenario.

While the government continues to negotiate Brexit, you should:

Keep in contact with the British Embassy by:

Before you go

See our travel advice for Switzerland and sign up for up-to-date information on local laws and customs, safety and emergencies.

The rules for travel to most countries in Europe will change if the UK leaves the EU with no deal. You can check a passport for travel to Europe.

See moving or retiring abroad.

Visas and residency

See entry requirements for Switzerland in our travel advice.

You must register at your local commune (town hall) within 14 days of arriving. See notification of departure and registration.

If you’re employed for more than 3 months, you’ll need to apply for a residence permit with your local cantonal authority.

In the event of changes to residency rules or registration processes after 29 March 2019, we will update this page as soon as information is available.


See our travel advice for Switzerland.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019, your access to healthcare is likely to change. The NHS has more information about healthcare for UK nationals living in and visiting Switzerland.

The UK government has or is seeking agreements with countries on healthcare arrangements for UK nationals after 29 March 2019.

Up to 29 March 2019, you should get a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to get emergency medical treatment during temporary stays in EU countries. You also need comprehensive travel insurance to cover anything not covered by your EHIC.

If you plan to visit on or after 29 March 2019, you should continue to buy travel insurance for the health treatment you may need, as you would for a non-EU country. If you have a UK-issued EHIC, it will still be valid until 29 March 2019.

You have 3 months to take out compulsory insurance with a Swiss health insurance company – see health insurance for foreigners in Switzerland and social insurance for foreign nationals.

It’s compulsory to have Old-age and Survivors’ Insurance and Disability Insurance.

You can find English-speaking doctors in Switzerland. You should also check your prescriptions are legal in Switzerland.

S1 form – healthcare paid for by the UK

You may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK if you live in Switzerland and get an exportable UK pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit.

You need to apply for a S1 form – contact the Department for Work and Pensions’ International Pension Centre. When you get your S1 form, register it with your local state hospital or health facility before you register with your local state hospital doctor and get a medical card.

Working in Switzerland

See working in another EU country.

Some jobs may require a UK criminal records check (known as a DBS check).

If you work 8 hours or more a week, you’re covered against occupational and non-occupational accidents by your employer.

Money and tax

If you intend to use a bank card, or other financial service from a UK-based firm in the EU after exit, this may be affected. Read more about using a bank card, insurance or other financial service in the EU.

See tax if you leave the UK to live abroad and tax on your UK income if you live abroad.

The UK has a double-taxation agreement with Switzerland to ensure people do not pay tax on the same income in both countries. The UK’s exit from the European Union will not change existing double taxation arrangements for UK nationals living in Switzerland. Individual taxpayer queries regarding double taxation relief should be directed to the relevant tax authority.

We strongly recommend you get professional advice on paying tax in Switzerland, and see the Swiss government’s detailed information on paying tax.

You may be able to pay National Insurance while abroad in order to protect your State Pension and entitlement to other benefits and allowances.


See State Pension if you retire abroad and new State Pension.

The UK Government will continue to pay state pension, child benefits, and disability benefits to eligible UK nationals living in Switzerland after the UK’s exit from the EU. Find guidance on benefits and pensions in a no deal scenario.

If you’ve worked in Switzerland, see how the retirement provision system works and managing my retirement provision.

If you haven’t worked in Switzerland, you should claim your UK state pension by contacting the International Pension Centre.

If you’ve worked in several EU countries, see state pensions abroad.

Life certificates for UK state pensions

If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you need to respond as soon as possible – your payments may be suspended if you don’t.


See claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad.

Find out which UK benefits you might be able to get while you’re abroad and how to claim them.

Many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit can’t be paid if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks.

You may be eligible to claim some Swiss social security benefits – see Swiss social security benefits and Swiss social insurances.

Driving in Switzerland

See driving abroad and road travel in Switzerland.

Holders of UK driving licences who are resident in Switzerland should exchange their UK licences for a Swiss driving licence before 29 March 2019. For more information see driving abroad.

See taking a vehicle out of the UK.

You can use your vehicle in Switzerland for a maximum of 1 year without declaring it to Customs – see entering Switzerland with a motor vehicle.

You have 12 months to swap your UK licence for a Swiss one – you can do this at your local cantonal authority. When driving, you should always have your:

  • driving licence
  • car papers
  • insurance paper
  • MOT/Control technique certificate
  • passport or ID and those of your passengers


British citizens living abroad can vote in some UK elections – you’ll need to register as an overseas voter.

Although foreign nationals can’t vote in Switzerland at federal level, several cantons and communes give foreign nationals voting rights – see voting rights of foreign nationals in Switzerland.


See register a birth abroad.


See what to do after someone dies.

See also:

Getting married

See getting married abroad.

Renewing passports

See overseas British passports applications and get an emergency travel document (sometimes called an emergency passport).


See travelling with pets.


As well as the European emergency number 112, Switzerland also uses:

  • 117 – police
  • 118 – fire
  • 144 – ambulance
  • 1414 – Swiss air-rescue

If you need urgent help, contact the British Embassy Berne.

Accommodation and buying property

See buying a property abroad.

Other useful information

Returning to the UK

To move your pension to the UK, contact the International Pension Centre.

See tax if you return to the UK.

See bringing your pet to the UK.


Please note that this information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Swiss authorities. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information.

Published 26 June 2013
Last updated 21 February 2019 + show all updates
  1. Information on the double-taxation agreement with Switzerland. The UK’s exit from the European Union will not change existing double taxation arrangements for UK nationals living in Switzerland.
  2. EU Exit update: updated information on access to healthcare
  3. EU exit update - updated information on pensions and driving
  4. EU Exit update: added information about the UK-Swiss Citizens Rights Agreement in the EU Exit section
  5. EU Exit update: Link added to Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement
  6. We have included links to our upcoming outreach events for UK nationals in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
  7. EU exit update: New information in residency and visa section on draft withdrawal agreement in principle between the UK and EU. Plus information on travelling with pets in Europe in pet section.
  8. Complete revision of guidance to ensure it's up to date and accurate.
  9. Life certificates for UK state pensions updated
  10. First published.