Get help if you’re running your own business by using videos, webinars and online courses from HMRC.
Available webinars are listed by subject and can last up to an hour.
To attend an upcoming live webinar, register and sign in at least 5 minutes before it starts.
You can ask your host questions using the on-screen text box.
Self-employment and HMRC – let’s get started
Watch YouTube videos about Self Assessment help and deadlines to find out about:
- registering for Self Assessment
- your self-employed tax return
- expenses if you’re self-employed
Watch a recorded webinar about an overview of self-employment and HMRC which looks at records, business expenses and more. We will also show you the help available from HMRC.
Setting up your business
Use the online guide about setting up and running your own business to find out about:
- choosing a structure for your business
- telling HMRC about your self-employment
- keeping business records
- claiming expenses
Watch the recorded webinar about record keeping.
How to complete your online tax return
Watch the recorded webinar about how to complete your online tax return.
- Self Assessment Online
- how to tailor your return
- the self-employment and employment sections
- how to budget for your tax bill
How to complete your UK property income pages
Watch the recorded webinar about how to complete your property income pages.
How to pay your self-assessment tax bill
Watch the recorded webinar about how to pay your self-assessment tax bill.
- how your first tax bill is calculated and when your first tax bill is payable
- budgeting for your first bill
- paying HMRC
Watch our short series of YouTube videos about expenses:
Cash basis and simplified expenses
Allowable business expenses
Common business expenses
Car expenses for the self employed
Watch the recorded webinar about car expenses.
To find out about:
- using the simplified expenses method
- calculating the actual costs method
- leasing a car and personal contract purchases
Watch a recorded webinar about capital allowances to find out how to claim tax relief when buying or improving vehicles and equipment for your business.
Use the online course about tax advice for childminders to find out about:
- National Insurance
- record keeping
- what you can claim as an expense
Use the online course about tax for foster carers to find out about:
- registering as self-employed
- National Insurance and Income Tax
- qualifying care relief
If you’re a small or medium business buying or selling alcohol you can find out if you need to apply for approval to sell alcohol to another business.