Ten-day GDS Academy course covering the fundamentals of digital and agile, for staff working in a multi-disciplinary team.
This GDS Academy course is for anyone who will be deployed onto a digital project or programme in a digital role, as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Course aims and objectives
The 10-day digital and agile foundation course enables you to discover what it means to be part of an agile, multi-disciplinary team, delivering digital services in Government. You will learn about the different phases of service design – introducing agile delivery methods, tools and techniques. You will apply your learning in a simulated project environment and on completion will be familiar with agile methodology and terminology.
You will be assessed throughout the course in two ways:
- online tests to help embed your learning and focus on any areas where you may need more support
- observation of your agile skills and qualities throughout the practical exercises
It is important that participants progress onto a digital project soon after completing the Foundation course to consolidate their learning. Participants are not expected to be practitioners in agile after completing the course but will understand the techniques now being applied on digital projects.
- Welcome and introduction
- MacBook familiarisation
- Agile principles and culture
- Agile simulation exercise
- User research
- User stories and journey mapping
- Introduction to discovery and course project
- GDS service standard assessment
- Security identity
- Security: cyber security awareness
- Introduction to the internet and coding
- Objectives review
- User research in alpha and beta
- Scrum overview
- Scrum simulation exercise
- Agile estimating and planning
- Backlog refinement
- Introduction to alpha
- Sprint planning
- Digital and customer analytics
The course takes 10 working days. The course timings are:
- Monday: 11am to 5pm
- Tuesday to Thursday: 9:30am to 5pm
- Friday: 9:30am to 3:30pm
The course costs £1,300 (not including VAT) for each person. The GDS Academy will invoice your organisation for the cost of each place taken on the course.
To book a place on this course:
- your organisation must have a training agreement with the Academy
- you must have permission from the person or department that approves your organisation’s training budget
To request a place on this course, email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- your name
- your organisation
- the course name
- the date and location you would like to attend
- your training code (if your organisation has given you one)
We will email you to confirm your booking, once we process your request.
Please note, if you previously booked using Eventbrite, your place is still confirmed, and no additional action is required.
This course is open to anybody at any civil service grade who is, or is due to start, working on the development of a digital service as part of a multi-disciplinary team, or those who are in an enabling role.
Training locations and dates
|Leeds||03 September to 14 September||Fully booked|
|London||10 September to 21 September||Fully booked|
|Leeds||17 September to 28 September||Fully booked|
|Leeds||08 October to 19 October||Places available|
|Newcastle||08 October to 19 October||Places available|
GDS Academy training locations
Find out how to get to our training locations in Leeds, London, Manchester and Newcastle.