Ten-day GDS Academy course covering the fundamentals of digital and agile, for staff working in a multi-disciplinary team.
This course is for anyone who will be deployed onto a digital project or programme in a digital role, as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Course aims and objectives
The 10-day digital and agile foundation course enables you to discover what it means to be part of an agile, multi-disciplinary team, delivering digital services in Government. You will learn about the different phases of service design – introducing agile delivery methods, tools and techniques. You will apply your learning in a simulated project environment and on completion will be familiar with agile methodology and terminology.
You will be assessed throughout the course in 2 ways:
- online tests to help embed your learning and focus on any areas where you may need more support
- observation of your agile skills and qualities throughout the practical exercises
It is important that participants progress onto a digital project soon after completing the Foundation course to consolidate their learning. Participants are not expected to be practitioners in agile after completing the course but will understand the techniques now being applied on digital projects.
- Welcome and introduction
- MacBook familiarisation
- Agile principles and culture
- Agile simulation exercise
- User research
- User stories and journey mapping
- Introduction to discovery and course project
- GDS service standard assessment
- Security identity
- Security: cybersecurity awareness
- Introduction to the internet and coding
- Objectives review
- User research in alpha and beta
- Scrum overview
- Scrum simulation exercise
- Agile estimating and planning
- Backlog refinement
- Introduction to alpha
- Sprint planning
- Digital and customer analytics
This course is available to civil servants, local government employees, devolved administrations and other public servants who are, or are due to start, working on the development of a digital service as part of a multi-disciplinary team, or those who are in an enabling role.
The course is 10 working days. The course timings are:
- Monday: 11am to 5pm
- Tuesday to Thursday: 9:30am to 5pm
- Friday: 9:30am to 3:30pm
The course costs £1,800 plus VAT for each person.
The charge for this course will be reviewed before classroom training recommences.
You must have a purchase order before requesting a place on the course.
GDS Academy has offices in Leeds and London. We run training courses from both locations.
We also run courses in pop-up locations. You will see these in the:
‘course dates’ section (on every course information page)
Ask a trainer to come to you
If you cannot travel to Leeds or London, you can ask a GDS Academy trainer to come to you. For example, they can travel to your office. You will need to pay for the trainer’s travel, accommodation and VAT.
If you want a trainer to come to you, email GDS Academy: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|London||11 to 22 May||Postponed|
Next course dates
GDS Academy adds new course dates approximately 4 times a year.
You can see these in the:
- GDS Academy newsletter
- ‘course dates’ section (on every course information page)
Book a place
You need a purchase order number before you can book a course.
Email GDS Academy
Email email@example.com, with your:
- mobile phone number
- course name, the number of courses, and the number of places
- course location
- course date
- purchase order number
Tell us how many trainees there will be
You can book for one person or a group of people.
If you want to book for a group, you can choose:
- an open group (anyone can join the training)
- a closed group (this is only for you and people you invite)
If you are booking for a closed group, you must include:
- where you want to host the course (location)
- when you would like to host the course (date)
Contact GDS Academy
Email GDS Academy: firstname.lastname@example.org