Apply for a poultry litter drying systems grant
Poultry farmers can apply for a grant to pay for a poultry litter drying system, through the Countryside Productivity scheme.
Poultry farmers can apply to RPA for a grant to fund a poultry litter drying system.
This grant is part of the Countryside Productivity Scheme.
How much funding is available
This grant is a large grant – that means grants between £35,000 and £1,000,000 are available.
The grant can fund up to 40% of the total eligible costs of the proposal.
What the grant will fund
These grants are only for systems that can:
- remove at least 85% of the moisture from a poultry litter, and
- reuse captured waste heat to dry poultry litter or heat housing units (using heat exchangers)
Applicants can also seek funding for the cost of installing the system, for a heat exchanger, and for any supporting:
- water tanks
- recirculation units, or
- pipes to deliver and distribute warm air (from the hot water) to the poultry units
Applicants need to use heat pumps to capture and reuse heat from the biomass boiler to reheat the poultry housing units (through the existing ventilation system).
Costs that are not eligible for funding
Funding for poultry litter drying systems does not include:
- toploaders or other machinery used to collect manure and load it into the dryer
- equipment for using the generated heat or water outside the applicant’s agricultural production facilities (such as for the applicant’s home), or
- biomass boilers
Also read a list of costs that are not eligible for any Countryside Productivity grants.
How to apply
Read the overview about how to apply for Countryside Productivity grants.
Applicants need to:
- register with the Rural Payments online service (if they have not already done so)
- complete an outline application form
- send it to the RPA – read about how to send applications
If an outline application is successful, RPA will send applicants a large grant full application form. Applicants should send this to RPA, along with supporting evidence.
Evidence to send with an application
If invited to fill out a full application for a poultry litter drying systems grant, applicants must send:
- the business’s energy bills for the last year
- a summary of the business’s energy usage during the last year
- supplier literature or quote that shows the moisture removal efficiency of the proposed project
- calculations that show how much energy will be saved if a grant is obtained, and
- proof that the applicant has a suitable biomass boiler for burning poultry litter on the site, or proof that they will install one with the poultry litter drying system
Applicants must also send a dimensioned plan of the site showing the location of:
- the poultry housing unit
- the proposed litter drying system
- the biomass boiler, and
- the heat exchanger and any associated equipment
Also read what evidence to send with any Countryside Productivity large grant full application.
- what happens after applying
- what to do if an application is successful
- what to do if an application is unsuccessful
Find out what other equipment is eligible for grantsunder the Countryside Productivity Scheme.
Applicants can apply for multiple small grants in one application, or multiple large grants in one application.
Applicants can’t apply for a mix of small and large grants in one application.