The British Consulate General Amsterdam represents the UK government in the Netherlands and provides services to British nationals in the Netherlands and the Dutch Caribbean (Curacao, Aruba, St Maarten, Bonaire, St Eustatius & Saba).

Find out what services are available at the British Embassy The Hague. Check our opening hours

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in the Netherlands or the Dutch Caribbean and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or lost your passport), call +31 (0)70 4270 427.

If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in the Netherlands or the Dutch Caribbean call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

We can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, or you are in the Dutch Caribbean contact us as soon as possible.

Along with other requirements you must bring a passport photo and a printed copy of your travel itinerary to the consulate general when applying for an ETD. There is a photobooth at the consulate in Amsterdam which costs €8 (payable in Euro coins only) if you can’t get a passport photo in advance.

Following your appointment, you may need to return to the consulate general to collect your ETD. During peak periods, this may be the following working day.

If you are in the Dutch Caribbean and need an ETD call us as soon as possible, and we will liaise with our consular colleague in Curacao to arrange an ETD for you.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British Consulate General Amsterdam.

Get a visa

We can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.


The first step you should take if you wish to get married in the Netherlands is to approach the Gemeente (town hall) where you wish to marry. Please note that the consulate general or the embassy in The Hague cannot issue declarations of marital status or Certificates of Non-Impediment. If the Gemeente asks you to provide these documents, please print this explanatory letter and present it to them.

For information on getting married in the Netherlands or the Dutch Caribbean, see getting married abroad.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death that occurred in the Netherlands. You can’t register a birth or death at any consulate general or embassy.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in the Netherlands or the Dutch Caribbean and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500. You may find our bereavement guide for the Netherlands useful.

You can also read our general guidance on coping with death abroad.

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in the Netherlands. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

The consulate general provides a limited number of notarial and documentary services. Read the notarial guide for more information.

Legalisation services

The consulate general does not provide legalisation services.

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

Local service providers

Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in the Netherlands. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the consulate general or the UK government.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing people and kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in the Netherlands

What our consulate cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in the Netherlands

Our people

Contact us

British Consulate General Amsterdam

Koningslaan 44
1075 AE Amsterdam

Notarial and documentary services by appointment only.

Access and opening times