Head of Trade & Investment
The British High Commission in Port of Spain is seeking a dynamic and self motivated individual for the position of Head, UKTI (Trade & Investment).
UKTI works with UK-based businesses to ensure their success in international markets, and encourages the best overseas companies to look to the UK as their global partner of choice. Working closely with the High Commissioner and with UKTI colleagues across the Caribbean region, the successful candidate will be responsible for; providing strategic advice for Trinidad & Tobago on business opportunities and market entry pathways for UK companies seeking to export into the market; project managing trade missions and other commercial events and delivering tailored business services against set targets for quality, impact and quantity.
- Develop and deliver annual strategic UKTI business planning;
- Lobby on behalf of UK commercial interests;
- Provide sound and objective advice, contacts and market information to UK companies;
- Identify specific opportunities for British exports;
- Identify and promote the key sectors that should be the strategic focus of UK companies;
- Identify local enterprises that can be effective representatives for British firms;
- Promote UK goods, services and investment to public and private sector individuals and companies/organisations;
- Undertake market promotion visits to the UK;
- Report on specific export and joint venture opportunities, and follow up on successful contacts established;
- Suggest British sources of supply and direct enquiries towards British suppliers;
- Handle any complaints and trade disputes;
- Support British Trade Missions and participate in local trade exhibitions;
- Manage the UKTI budgets, providing reports as may be required and
- Effectively manage the subordinate staff assigned to the UKTI team.
- A minimum of five (5) years recent experience in a private sector business development or trade development environment in Trinidad & Tobago or Caribbean;
- A strong existing network of contacts in the private and public sectors;
- The ability to deliver high quality services, making best use of available resources to meet customer needs;
- Excellent interpersonal, networking, market research and communication skills;
- Leadership skills as well as the ability to manage IT, Finance and HR issues;
- The ability to work on his/her own initiative, and be an excellent self-manager and team player.
- An understanding of the UK is desirable.
Salary and Benefits:
The annual salary for this position is TT$240,643. Health and pension benefits are available after successful completion of a probationary period and other checks. Candidates must have independent status to work and reside in Trinidad & Tobago. This either requires the individual to be a citizen, have permanent residence, or to be in possession of a valid work permit. Staff recruited locally by the British High Commission are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Trinidad & Tobago employment law.
Resume should be submitted in a .doc (Microsoft Word) or .PDF file format by 4 January via the ICIMS website. Internal candidates must address their resumes through the Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.