Annual Chevening Alumni Gathering
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
British Embassy Jakarta hosted the first Annual Chevening Alumni Gathering.
British Embassy Jakarta hosted the first Annual Chevening Alumni Gathering on Thursday, 26 Feb 2015 in Jakarta. The event welcomed back to Indonesia and Timor Leste the Chevening Scholars of 2013/14.
The British Ambassador His Excellency Moazzam Malik gave awards for the Most Engaged Alumni of 2014 and the Chevening Opinion Former of 2014. This year’s awards went to Mr Enda E. Ginting and Mr Achmad Gusman Siswandi, for Most Engaged Alumni; and Professor Hikmahanto Juwana and Dr Rizal Sukma for Chevening Opinion Formers 2014.
British Ambassador Moazzam Malik said:
The Chevening Scholarships Programme is a globally renowned scheme. Scholars come from 118 countries, and this year the Scholarships will support more than 600 future leaders. Of these, 70 scholars will be from Indonesia and Timor Leste – a 300% increase on last year.
Chevening Alumni have an excellent record of rising to positions of leadership across a wide range of fields. I am delighted to recognise two such Alumni who have become thought leaders in Indonesia today – Professor Hikmahanto and Dr Rizal Sukma. I hope their example and that of others will inspire the next generation of Chevening scholars.
Notes to Editors:
- The Gathering took place at the Ambassador’s Residence on Thur, 26 Feb in Menteng – Jakarta
- Chevening Scholarships are the UK government’s global scholarship programme, funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organisations. It began in 1983 and has developed into a prestigious international scheme
- Partners for Chevening scholarships in Indonesia include Prudential, HSBC and Warwick University.
- There are over 1300 Chevening alumni in Indonesia and Timor Leste.
- The Most Engaged Chevening Alumni award recognises Chevening Alumni who have actively participated in UK alumni events and have contributed widely to the work of the UK Embassy in Indonesia as we seek to further deepen ties with Indonesia and Timor Leste.