The Prosperity Fund in Kazakhstan is now open for submission of project proposals.
The Prosperity Fund in Kazakhstan is now open for submission of project proposals. Deadline for project concept bids is 15 December 2014.
The British Embassy in Astana is pleased to announce that the UK Government’s Prosperity Programme Fund is now accepting bids for projects to run in Kazakhstan from April 2015 to March 2016.
This Fund aims to support projects which create the conditions for global growth by advancing Kazakhstan’s development in the realms of business environment, open economy, energy, climate change, education and science/innovation.
Partners are encouraged to propose projects which would positively affect Kazakhstan’s
- sustainable growth and development and
- relationship with the UK.
The Prosperity Programme Fund in Kazakhstan will support projects in the following areas:
Business environment: improving the business environment for foreign and domestic companies, and breaking down barriers to trade and investment. We welcome a focus on structural reform aimed at opening markets, increasing competitiveness, building capacity in the public sector and enhancing dialogue between government, business and labour.
Open economy: Promoting greater transparency and accountability, tackling tax evasion and encouraging trade liberalisation. We welcome projects with a focus on Kazakhstan’s regulatory reform, transparency and anti-corruption / anti-bribery efforts.
Energy: Building transparent and sustainable energy use. We welcome projects aimed at helping up- scale renewable energy and diversify Kazakhstan’s energy mix; building capacity and strengthening technical skills in the energy sector; promoting UK commercial and policy interests in the energy sector.
Climate change / low carbon economy: Driving a clean and low carbon transition, boosting green growth and helping to prevent dangerous climate change. We welcome projects with a focus on sustainable cities through innovation and public-private partnerships; developing models for enhanced green investment; promoting frameworks for climate legislation.
Science and innovation: Stimulating UK-Kazakhstan collaboration in research, innovation and technology and supporting investment into the UK’s tech sector. We welcome projects which enhance partnerships in R&D through industry and academia.
Concept bids in these areas will be accepted until Monday 15 December 2014. Concept bids will be reviewed by the British Embassy and the FCO Prosperity Fund, and partners with successful concept bids will be notified in late January and asked to submit a full project bid by 9 February 2015.
Guidance for potential implementers
Projects funded through the Prosperity Fund must: * Deliver measurable and broad-based outcomes * Demonstrate opportunities for UK-Kazakhstan policy and/or commercial collaboration * Provide evidence of Kazakhstan Government support
Funded projects will need to contribute to one or more of the aforementioned policy priorities, be compatible with the ‘Conditions for Growth’ (described below) and have a clear and measurable benefit to the UK.
Projects which help strengthen the UK-Kazakhstan bilateral relationship by showcasing the UK as an international partner of choice and world-class destination for business, tourism and study are particularly encouraged.
Project proposals which are large scale and multiply impact with regional and co-partner elements are particularly encouraged. Please note we cannot provide funding to support loans, capital costs or client purchase systems. Project concepts must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
The purpose of the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s Prosperity Fund is to help to create the conditions for global growth:
- Openness: work that helps to consolidate an open, fair and competitive economic of Kazakhstan, financial and business environment which is attractive to UK companies – including through appropriate support for Kazakhstan’s reform and modernisation agenda. And by ensuring a strong partnership between Kazakhstan and the UK in support of a rules-based, free-trading international economic system which drives global prosperity.
- Sustainability: Work that supports the transition to a low carbon economy and resilient energy markets enhances energy and resource security and which promotes science and innovation as solutions to global challenges.
- Opportunity: work that helps UK companies win new business, and promotes education and innovation as drivers of growth. By promoting an education partnership that brings prosperity benefits to the UK and Kazakhstan, and strengthens our long-term engagement. By developing a stronger UK-Kazakhstan innovation, research and evidence partnership that has commercial, academic and societal impact.
- Reputation: work that promotes the UK as a creative and trustworthy partner; a world class destination for business, tourism and study.