Some people need extra care or support - practical or emotional - to lead an active life and do the everyday things that many of us take for granted. The government is working to provide a social care system that provides care for those who need it, and which enables people to retain their independence and dignity.

Policies 7

  1. Compassionate care in the NHS

    The government is making changes to the health and social care system to put respect for patients and service users first.

  2. Mental health service reform

    The government is making mental wellbeing a priority and looking at how to make mental health services as effective as possible.

  3. Health and social care integration

    The government wants health and social care services to work together more efficiently so that people get the right combination of care.

  4. Dementia

    The government wants to improve health and care services, create more dementia-friendly communities and make dementia research a priority.

  5. Choice in health and social care

    The government is making changes to give people more information, choice and control over health and social care services.

See all 7 policies

Detailed guides

  1. Sickle cell and thalassaemia screening: community outreach good practice

    Advice for people who commission, fund, deliver and evaluate health outreach programmes. Read more

  2. Integrated care: ask a question or make a complaint

    Explains how to ask a question or make a complaint about Monitor's integrated care licence condition. Read more

  3. Being inspected as a boarding or residential school

    Ofsted inspects boarding provision in maintained boarding schools and independent boarding schools which aren’t members of associations affiliated to the Independent Schools Council. Read more

  4. Enabling integrated care in the NHS

    How healthcare providers and commissioners can enable better integration of care so services are less fragmented and easier for patients to access. Read more

  5. High blood pressure: plan and deliver effective services and treatment

    Preventing people in England from developing high blood pressure (hypertension), and detecting and managing it better in those who have it. Read more