Achievements of the Industrial Strategy 1 year after publication.
The aim of the Industrial Strategy is to boost productivity by backing businesses to create good jobs and increase the earning power of people throughout the UK with investment in skills, industries and infrastructure. We are doing this by:
1. Strengthening the foundations of productivity – the fundamentals that support a skilled, innovative, geographically-balanced economy. The five foundations are:
- Ideas: encouraging the UK to be the world’s most innovative economy
- People: ensuring good jobs and greater earning power for all
- Infrastructure: driving a major upgrade to the UK’s infrastructure
- Business environment: guaranteeing the best place to start and grow a business
- Places: creating prosperous communities across the UK
2. Building long-term strategic partnerships with businesses through Sector Deals between government and industry. These present significant opportunities to tackle barriers to growth, boost productivity in specific sectors, further collaboration, and ensure high-quality jobs.
3. Taking on Grand Challenges – the society-changing opportunities and industries of the future, where we can build on our emerging and established strengths to become a world leader. Our first four Grand Challenges are focused on global trends to transform our future:
- AI and data: putting the UK at the forefront of the AI and data revolution,
- Ageing society: harnessing the power of innovation to meet the needs of an ageing society,
- Clean growth: maximising the advantages for UK industry from the global shift to clean growth,
- Future of mobility: becoming a world leader in shaping the future of mobility.
The 5 foundations support our vision for a transformed economy.
The Grand Challenges will put the UK at the forefront of the industries of the future.
Partnerships between the government and industry on sector-specific issues.
Our white paper sets out a long-term plan to boost the productivity and earning power of people throughout the UK.
- 13 December 2018
- Policy paper
World-first carbon 'net-zero' hub of heavy industry to help UK seize global economic opportunities of clean growth
- 13 December 2018
- Press release
- 7 December 2018