Statistics on licensed motor vehicles in Great Britain, derived from data held by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).
This publication presents information on motor vehicles in Great Britain that were licensed on the 30 September 2012 (the end of quarter 3), or which were registered for the first time during quarter 3 (July to September 2012).
The statistics are derived from data held by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), which administers vehicle registration and licensing records in Great Britain.
- 34.7 million vehicles were licensed for use on the roads in Great Britain on the 30 September 2012, up 0.7% on the year before. Of these vehicles, 28.8 million were cars.
- The numbers of licensed Heavy Goods Vehicles and Buses & Coaches have decreased since the economic downturn began in 2008/09, and the rate of increase in other types of vehicles has slowed.
- 681.3 thousand vehicles were registered for the first time in Great Britain during quarter 3 2012, up 6.4% on the same quarter of the previous year.
- During quarter 3 2012, 987 new ultra-low emission vehicles were registered for the first time (in the UK).
- Average CO2 emissions from new cars fell from 133.2 g/km in quarter 2 2012 to 131.9 g/km in quarter 3 2012.
Information on Vehicle licensing statistics, including the pre-release access list can be found here.
- Phone: 020 7944 3077