Innovate UK and the Medical Research Council (MRC) commissioned Ipsos Mori to carry out a 2-stage review of the Biomedical Catalyst. This report provides the results of the first stage of the evaluation process.
Some of the report’s main findings include:
- projects receiving Biomedical Catalyst funding progress faster than they would otherwise have done
- Biomedical Catalyst funding encourages companies to switch from low risk / low return projects to those with high risk / higher return
- stakeholders agreed that the Biomedical Catalyst aligns with Innovate UK and MRC strategies
- applicants thought the application process was straightforward and encouraged high-quality submissions
- marketing to the biopharma and academic communities was successful
- the Biomedical Catalyst should seek to increase outreach to the medtech community and emerging sectors such as digital health
Future evaluation of the Biomedical Catalyst
The second phase of the evaluation will begin in 2017 and will build upon this baseline study. It will report on the outcomes and impacts since the launch of the Biomedical Catalyst.
About the Biomedical Catalyst
The Biomedical Catalyst is a partnership between Innovate UK and the MRC. It supports the most innovative life sciences opportunities. Its aims are to de-risk innovative science and commercialise the ideas that come from academia and industry. It helps UK SMEs develop into competitive and sustainable businesses.