The St Ives Bay Line runs from St Erth to St Ives in Cornwall. It carries a large number of tourists as well as local passengers. The line was proposed for closure in Dr Beeching’s ‘The reshaping of British railways’ report, which prompted its appearance in Flanders and Swann’s ‘Slow Train’, but it was reprieved.
||About 12 minutes — one way
||Devon and Cornwall Rail Partnership
||Great Western Railway
The St Ives Bay Line serves the following 5 stations:
- St Ives
- Carbis Bay
- Lelant saltings
- St Erth
The St Ives Bay Line was one of the first designated community railways. Seven pilot routes were selected which could demonstrate different aspects of the community rail development strategy. The St Ives Bay Line was selected as one of the pilots because it is a short tourist route mainly carrying park and ride passengers.
The 7 pilot routes:
- St Ives Bay Line (St Ives — St Erth) in Cornwall
- Looe Valley Line (Looe to Liskeard) in Cornwall
- Tamar Valley Line (Gunnislake — Plymouth) in Cornwall / Devon
- Abbey Line (St Albans — Watford Junction) in Hertfordshire
- Poacher Line (Skegness — Grantham) in Lincolnshire
- Penistone Line (Barnsley — Huddersfield) in South and West Yorkshire
- Esk Valley Line (Whitby — Middlesbrough) in North Yorkshire and Teesside
The St Ives Bay Line was designated as a community rail line by the Strategic Rail Authority in July 2005. The designation covers the line and the passenger services between St Erth and St Ives and the 5 stations.
Network Rail strategic route plan
The St Ives Bay Line has been identified as a rural route within Network Rail’s west of England (K) strategic route plan.
The Devon and Cornwall Rail Partnership
The St Ives Bay Line is one of the 7 railway lines supported by the Devon and Cornwall Rail Partnership, which was formed in 1991 to promote railway services in the area. The lines supported by the partnership are:
- Atlantic Coast Line — Newquay to Par
- Avocet Line — Exeter St David’s to Exmouth
- Looe Valley Line — Looe to Liskeard
- Maritime Line — Falmouth to Truro
- St Ives Bay Line — St Ives to St Erth
- Tamar Valley Line — Gunnislake to Plymouth
- Tarka Line — Exeter Central to Barnstable