Data is based upon information collected in the January 2013 school census and includes information on the number of schools and pupils.
This release is based upon information collected in the January 2013 school census. It includes information on both the number of schools and pupils, and tables showing the number of pupils by age, gender, free school meal eligibility, ethnicity, and first language. It also includes a range of class size information.
School types included in this publication are: state-funded primary, secondary and special schools, independent schools, pupil referral units, and alternative provision.
The key points from the latest release are:
- the overall number of pupils (headcount) in all schools in England increased slightly, but remains around 8.2 million in 2013
- there has been a continued increase in primary pupil numbers
- there has been an increase in the percentage of pupils from minority ethnic groups and pupils with a first language other than English
- the percentage of pupils eligible for and claiming free school meals in secondary schools has increased from 16.0% to 16.3% while in primary schools it has decreased from 19.3% to 19.2%
- there has been an increase in the number of lawful key stage 1 (KS1) classes in excess of 30 pupils, but a decrease in the percentage of pupils taught in large classes in key stage 2 (KS2) and the secondary phase
Statistics on cross-border flows (ie pupils leaving their local authority of residence to attend schools located outside their local authority of residence) will be published as additional tables by mid-July.
Telephone: 020 7340 8364